Chapter 7

The events of last Saturday night seemed confusing to you. You thought you had done a good job—his parents wanted to meet with you again and had asked for your phone number to keep in touch, but you couldn't help but notice how angry Mr Ren was at you. Had you said something wrong? Perhaps you had gotten some sort of information incorrectly, or forgotten to memorise a certain part of the file. All you could recognise was the tense atmosphere in the car as he drove you back home. It was usually tense in the car because you didn't know how to socialise with your boss, but normally Mr Ren or Hux would try to break the ice. There was no Hux here and Mr Ren didn't seem too pleased with you. You woke up the day after to two text messages from him. This time you had his number saved in your phone.

Old man: Next time don't make up your own information.

Old man: I'll pay you tonight.

You sighed as you shut off your phone. It was probably the tenth time you had read the two texts. You thought you had done well with your snowstorm story. His parents seemed to fall in love not only with the story, but with you. He hadn't contacted you since that night, which granted wasn't unusual, but you expected him to check up on you or make sure that you were still set on continuing the fake relationship. You thought about responding, but it was a little too late now.

It was very late in the night and you were working overtime. You had missed a lot of work in trying to help Mr Ren. You had so many projects awaiting you in just one week you barely had enough time to finish them by the deadline. There was a makeup product, a logo for a new food product and a poster. You were shattered, but you couldn't be bothered to go home. You would have to carry your special equipment back which you were not in the mood of doing.

"How can I entertain you?" Troy, who was on a video call with you said.

"I don't know," you said, continuing to draw on your tablet.

"Do you want me to sing some Britney Spears?"

"That I definitely don't want." You laughed.

"Well, I just feel like you're about to sleep," Troy whined.

"It's fucking 1 am and I'm still at work. Of course I'm tired."

"You get real cranky when you're sleepy," Troy said. "Just go home. You can always blackmail Mr Ren if he tries to fire you."

You snorted. "Yeah, well, he also has blackmail on me. I could get banned from all dating conventions. We can't have that."

Troy gasped. "No, we definitely can't." He rested his chin on his hand. "Finish the work."

"Yes, sir," you said with a smile.

You had already finished seven designs for the makeup product and you were on your fourth one for the food. You knew the poster was going to be the easiest thing, but it was all such tedious work.

"Hold on my mum's calling me," you said and answered the call before Troy could object to being hung up on. "Hey mum, what's up?"

"Honey, when are you coming back home?" Your mum said lazily. You could tell she had just woken up. She probably fell asleep while watching the real housewives. "Me and your dad were waiting, but it's just gotten a bit too late."

"You can lock up, don't worry," you said. "I've got a spare, so it's fine. You and dad go to sleep, okay? You need a break after today. You both did a lot of work."

"Alright, sweetie. Don't be too late," she said. "And remember to get the mail on your way back."

"I will. Goodnight." You hung up the phone and continued with your work. You put some music on to try and keep yourself awake. You needed something upbeat, so you opted for Doja Cat. Her music always woke you up. You put on 'need to know' then opened photoshop again.

Without any warning, you heard a familiar voice call you by your title and last name. It was only after you had gotten halfway through the song that you had realised it was your boss. You had no idea he would be working late tonight. All of your coworkers had already left.

"You know we don't pay you if you willingly work after hours," he said.

"Oh, hello Mr Ren," you said and spun around in your chair. "I know you don't, but I just need to catch up on work."

"Why are you late on your projects?" He looked as if he was about to leave the building with his case hanging over his shoulder and his coat on.

"With everything that happened last week, I was struggling to memorise the file which also led to me not putting that much effort into work, so I'm just a little bit behind."

"How behind are you?"

"I need to finish twenty more designs," you said while grimacing.

Mr Ren sighed as he threw his bag onto the counter, pulling something out—a cheque book. He scribbled onto it and handed it over to you. "This is for last week."

You looked at the amount he had written. $25,000.

"You said I'd get 20,000. Did you make a mistake, sir?"

"No, I didn't." He straightened his tie. "You've done good work. Consider it a tip."

You were speechless as you stared at the rectangular piece of paper in your hands. That's a lot of money, you thought. Mr Ren told you goodnight before beginning to leave the room. You stopped him by grabbing his arm gently.

"I really did enjoy meeting your parents."

He looked at your hand then back at you. "They very much enjoyed your company."

"They're very kind," you said genuinely. "You're lucky to have two people who care for you that much."

He nodded as he said, "I guess so."

"And thank you for the money. You don't understand how much I appreciate it," you said.

"You did your job well. You deserve it." He said. You hadn't realised your hand was still on his arms.

You let go as you turned back around in your chair, not wanting to look him in the eyes as you asked your next question. "What did you mean by your text message, sir?"

He hummed, not understanding what I was talking about.

"Next time don't make up your own information." You repeated the words of the message. "Did I not do well or did they not believe me or something?"

Mr Ren paused. "You were great and so was the story you gave."

You nodded. "I guess I'm just confused because I thought it all went so well."

"It did." Mr Ren reassured you. "It just–" He sighed. "It reminded me of someone from my past and I was upset. That's all."

"Oh," you said, along with a pause. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he said. "You were just doing your part."

"Thank you." You smiled. "Again."

"You're welcome." He looked at his watch, raising his eyebrows as he read the time. "You don't have to do the poster, I'll give it to someone else. Go home, even if you don't finish the food product samples."

"It's fine, sir," you said quickly as you turned to look at him. "Really."

"I'm your boss aren't I?" He said. "Do as I say and go home. We'll figure out the designs later. Okay?"

You nodded.