Chapter 19

"Hey, can you help me really quickly with the Anomena logo?" Your coworker, Ricky said.

"Yeah," you said as you stood up from your desk and walked to his, hunching over it as you looked at what he was working on in his computer. A blank photoshop canvas. "Have you not done anything yet?"

"No," he said and grimaced. "I can't figure out how to start."

You knew what this meant. He wanted you to do all of the work for him. "Okay, what did the company request?"

"They wanted something that reflects their fashion which is a very soft and pastel sort of aesthetic," he said.

"Okay," you said. "Just start by thinking what comes to mind when you hear the word 'soft' or 'pastel' then combine it with some of the pieces from their clothes."

"Can you think of it for me," he said. "My brain is literally blank right now."

"Ricky, I've already done 7 assignments for you which I didn't get any credit for," you said. "It's not that hard."

"I know, but I promise I'll put your name on it when I submit it this time," he said.

You looked at him and paused, thinking if you should help him or not. You sighed. "Fine."

"Thank you."

"Okay," you said. "So, when I think of soft, I think of something like a cherry blossom or a Chicory or even a ballerina. So, from what I can see from the clothing line is that it's very pink and purple and blue, and it focuses on how sustainable it is. So I would focus on some kind of plant that would match their theme."

"I actually really like the idea of a cherry blossom," he said.

"Okay, good," you said. "Now, make at least five designs, and if they don't like the cherry blossom idea, we can make another thing."

"Mr Ren wants to see you," Emily said.

"Now?" You said as you stood up straight.

"Yes," she said. "In his office."

You had a feeling it was going to be about what happened on Saturday. You hadn't really spoken since then mostly because the both of you were so busy, but you supposed he asked for you now since he had no other free time. You furrowed your brows as you crossed your arms to the sound the elevator made as you reached your desired floor. You weren't sure if you had forgiven him for what happened, but there were two ways this could go; Mr Ren could fire you for the way you scolded him when he drove you to the harbour, or he could apologise for what happened, which granted—he had already done. Fuck, you thought. He had already apologised, which meant there was only one option left. He was going to fire you.

You walked into his office and he gestured for you to sit down in front of him. You did so, placing your hands under your thighs to stop yourself from fidgeting too much. It was just the two of you. No Hux.

"Before you say anything," you interrupted him as he began to speak. "I would like to say something first." You cleared your throat. "I know it wasn't my place as your employee to shout at you for the way you acted with your friends and if you want to fire me, I understand that because I would too, but before you do, can you please consider the fact that I have literally done most of the work for the design team? I know I don't show up to any of the presentations, but without me, there wouldn't be any presentations in the first place. There wouldn't be any designs, or logos to show off, because I'm the one who helps everybody down there. I'm the one who gives everyone ideas for their assignments. Even though I've never presented to you, I just want you to know that I am good at my job, sir. In fact, I think your design team would fail without me. Because quite literally, everyone there relies on me."