Chapter 4

You stared at your new pair of Louboutins. Troy really did know what style of shoes to buy you in order to make you feel better. You hadn't told him about what had happened with Mr Ren. You decided it would be best kept as a secret for now. Mostly because you didn't want to be put in the awkward position of trying to subtly get Armitage Hux's phone number so your friend could sext him.

It was Wednesday and you were sitting in Mr Ren's office sweating your ass off. You didn't know how to act or where to place your hands, and most importantly you didn't know why he was staring at you so intensely in silence. All you did know was that Mr Ren had requested you in his office in order to discuss business nothing else.

"Do you need anything to drink?" Mr Ren asked from his seat. "Hux can get you tea or coffee if you like."

"No, thanks. I'm good," you said, crossing your legs. You knew he wanted to meet you on Wednesday, but you didn't expect him to ask you to come to his office in front of your coworkers.

"As you know, Saturday is our first date with my parents." He opened one of his drawers to pull out a file. "They're obviously going to ask questions about our relationship, so Hux and I created this file which includes all of the information you need to know about our relationship. How we started dating, how long we've been together, whatever it may be. There's information about Scarlett Williams and about me which you would need to memorise." He slid the file towards you and you opened it. Scanning all of the information. It was around twenty pages that consisted of a summary of your relationship, his childhood, your 'parents,' his parents and so much more. Mr Ren was a part of the chess club when he was younger as well as the soccer team which you did not know. It was interesting to find out about these things as he had never mentioned them before in his TED talks or interviews. You almost laughed at the thought of how many TED talks he had one, speaking about creating his empire from the ground up, yet he was asking you, a commoner, for help.

"It doesn't say anything in here about how we met," you said, flipping through the pages.

"Yes, it does. We met at Harvard University." He crossed his arms.

"Yeah, but nothing about the moment we met," you said.

He looked at you with a confused look on his face.

"You know, like the moment in a tv show or a movie where the protagonist and the love interest meet and sparks fly." You hadn't realised your eyes widening as you spoke of it. "And then they immediately realise that they want to spend the rest of their lives with that person."

"That's more of a fairytale. This is real life," he said, placing a hand on the table. His sleeve rode up slightly and you caught a glimpse of his rolex which snapped you out of your daydream and back into reality. How could Mr Ren fall in love at first sight?

You nodded, running a hand up and down your shoulder. You were wearing a short plaid skirt and a white shirt. You hoped the sweat coming out of your armpits wasn't showing through your top.

"Let's do a quick test," he said and rested his elbows on the desk. "My parents' names are?"

"Han and Leia," you said.

"When is my birthday?"

"Nineteenth of November."

"Very good," he said and a small smile crept up at the right side of his mouth.

It wasn't that impressive. You had actually skimmed through the document, not really caring to look at the information at the moment. You knew about his birthday from the amount of times you had looked him up. You wanted to be well researched before applying for Ren Industries and tried to make sure you knew everything.

"You'll have to review it to memorise the more complex details about my childhood, but with your experience pretending to be Scarlett Williams, it shouldn't be too hard for you."

****

You had read through the file around a hundred times and you still couldn't memorise it. Troy was starting to get sick of you. You were supposed to be out getting drunk together, but it was the Friday before you had to go shopping with Mr Ren and you had a slight suspicion that he was going to quiz you about his life. Friday nights were normally blackout nights for the both of you. You would go out to whatever restaurant it may be—preferably anywhere with sushi, and you would get absolutely wasted. Then you would spend the next day sulking and whining and trying your hardest to avoid one another. Both of you were the worst kind of cranky when it came to hangovers.

"What the fuck are you reading anyway?" Troy asked with a tone.

"Oh, I don't know," you said calmly. "I would explain it to you, but I'm scared a super sexy man might hinder your concentration." You flipped a page with a passive-aggressive smile plastered across your face.

Troy scoffed. "Those red bottoms really suit you."

"Aww thanks. Someone who I'm considering ending my friendship with them bought them for me." You broke the chopsticks and rubbed them together as you stared at him in the eyes.

"Bestie," he said with a sigh as he held your hand. "Literal love of my life, mommy." You almost let out a laugh, but you managed to cover it with a smile. "I am very sorry that I decided to talk to a man over my best friend. I assure you that I will never ever do it again, and if I do you can buy whatever you want with my credit card for a day."

You paused. "I'll take you up on that." Troy laughed as he shook your hand.

"Can you please tell me what you're reading now?"

"It's nothing," you said and cleared your throat. "It's work related and I need to get it done soon."

"Yeah, right." He scoffed. "Bitch, since when do you ever get files or not tell me about everything that's happening with you at work in detail." He took the file out of your hand forcefully, almost ripping the paper.

You covered your face with your hand out of sheer embarrassment.

"Oh my god, hun." His jaw dropped as he flipped through the pages. "Why do you have an entire file about Kylo Ren?" He gasped as he turned another page. "Are you a stalker, or a spy?" He whispered the spy part which made you roll your eyes.

"I am not stalking my boss. I'm in a fake relationship with him." That sounded even more ridiculous, but you would never lie to Troy and he knew that.

"Tell. Me. Everything."