Chapter 5

Your plan to stay sober last night was unsuccessful. You were stupid to think that you could spend a night with Troy and not drink a single drop of alcohol. One beer had turned into four and those four turned into seven. The last thing you remembered was sneaking into your parents house and throwing up in the toilet while Troy held your hair back. You felt like shit. In fact, you felt worse than shit. You felt like diarrhoea. Diarrhoea from a horse.

You thought you had woken up to the sound of your alarm, but it was actually your ringtone. And as you slowly began to wake up, reality set in. Today was your shopping day with Mr Ren and you were hungover. It was an unknown phone number which made it even more likely that it was your boss or his assistant.

"Hello?" You said lazily as you answered the phone.

"Finally," you heard a man breathe out on the other end of the phone. "This is Armitage Hux. We're waiting for you a block away from your house."

"Fuck," you whispered as you sat up.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," you said quickly as you walked towards your wardrobe. "I'll be right there. Just give me ten minutes." You hung up and pulled out whatever clothes you could find.

You were aware you looked horrible. You opted for comfort rather than style—a hoodie and sweatpants. You also wore some sunglasses to shield yourself from the blinding sun rays.

You hopped in the backseat quickly, looking both ways across the street to make sure no one could see you walking into the very expensive car. You were met with Mr Ren who was sitting on the other side of the car.

"Good morning," you said.

"It's three in the afternoon," Mr Ren said, looking at his watch.

"So it is." You wanted to die. "Everyone has a different idea of morning, though." You looked out the car window and hoped this would be over as soon as possible. You had a massive headache and you didn't have enough time to make yourself some coffee.

You couldn't help but feel the stare of confusion coming towards you from your boss. It was probably obvious to him that you had been drinking the night before. Especially because of your horrendous outfit.

"Rough night?" Hux said as he drove.

"You know how Friday nights get," you said.

"You got drunk when you knew you were meeting with me?" Mr Ren said.

"No no no," you said nervously. "I didn't exactly mean to."

"Did someone get you drunk?" He said with concern in his tone.

"No, I just didn't want to drink, but I was with my friend so I just got it over with."

"Troy Buckley?" Hux said.

"Yeah." You nodded. "We usually have drinks together on Friday nights."

"Right," Mr Ren said. "Well, don't let it happen again."

"I won't," you said, but couldn't promise anything.

It was a very quiet car ride. Hux or Mr Ren would try to make a few comments in order to break the silence, but you weren't in the mood to talk, so you would often respond with one liners, trying your hardest to make it clear that you wanted peace and quiet. And to be honest, they weren't exactly the best at making good conversation.

You walked into the department store, a shocked look plastered on your face. You already felt out of place—it was so much fancier than anywhere you'd ever been to. It was clearly made for rich people as you saw the names of each store. Versace, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, Dior, Chanel...