Chapter 18

If someone had asked you what your worst fear in the entire world was, you would have to say boats. You despised them. You hated the feeling of being unsteady and worst of all you hated the feeling of nausea you got every time you spent more than ten minutes on one. You took two travel sickness pills for safe measure. You weren't exactly in the mood of throwing up on your boss.

"Well, if it isn't Scarlett herself in the flesh," a random man you hadn't met before said. You turned around, water in hand. You decided it would be a bad idea to drink any alcohol. "I'm Rob," he said with a smile as he shook your hand. "Heard a lot about you." He looked a lot older than you—older than Mr Ren even.

"Have you?" You said playfully as you turned to Mr Ren. You smiled as his arm slid around your waist, but then you suddenly snapped back into reality, bringing your gaze back to Rob.

"Kylo's told us a lot about you." He looked at your boss and grinned, nudging him. "You dog." Something about the way this man spoke told you that you weren't going to enjoy his company at all.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you," you said with a fake smile.

Kylo leaned towards your ear and whispered, "please ignore anything he says." He kissed your cheek before moving back to where he was before, making it appear natural and not as if he was talking about Rob.

"I'm gonna go chat with Michelle. I get the feeling she's been eyeing me up since our last party," Rob said.

"You fucker," Mr Ren said.

"Can't blame me for wanting a piece of that ass," Rob said almost too loudly. "Goddamn."

"Between me and you," Mr Ren said as he got closer to Rob. "Save some for me later."

You cringed. You were very uncomfortable with the vernacular and dialect which your boss was choosing to use. You had never seen him act this way before.

"Oi, Kylo," he said. "Not in front of the Mses. You don't wanna be in the dog house tonight."

"Don't worry I've got her under control." He laughed, but as soon as you subtly removed his hand from your waist, his laughter quickly began to disappear. "I'll catch you later, Rob." He cleared his throat.

"It was nice getting to know you," you said even though you really didn't mean it.

"See ya." Rob walked away and began to badger yet another woman. You could tell he was a frat boy in university.

"I'm getting paid after this, right?" You said after making sure no one around could hear you.

"Yes, of course," Mr Ren said as he took a sip of his old-fashioned.

You wanted to confront him about his behaviour, but it wasn't your place to scold your boss. You just hated how disgusting the words he used were.

"Oh, by the way," you said. "When you drop me home, can we stop at the harbour? There's a light show happening around midnight that I've always wanted to see."

"A light show?" Mr Ren said. "I don't know if I have time for that."

"We don't have to stay too long," you said. "It's just this line of boats that has a bunch of fairy lights propped and each boat has a different theme. The people who live on those boats decided to do it once every two months for charity. We can just walk past while looking at it. It'll only take like two minutes."

He furrowed his brows.

"Please?" You held your hands together.

He sighed. "Fine, but only two minutes."