|| 13. Work ||

As they both had promised, Shivaay and Annika did try to reduce the gap that had occurred in their relationship by talking randomly, eating food together and also giving calls to each other during the day. The last one Annika had refrained from doing at the beginning thinking that he must be busy in work but as a part of their efforts, she did. And they had to agree that it worked to an extent. They had managed to reduce their awkwardness and it was definitely a good sign.

And that is why Shivaay was confused when he saw Annika a bit serious when he came home after a long day at work. She asked him to go freshen up and she set the dinner table. Shivaay soon came and they both settled down for dinner when Shivaay noticed her just fidgeting with her food and not eating anything.

"Annika, what is the matter? Koi problem hui hai kya?" He asked her softly prompting her to look at him finally.

Tension lines were still visible on her face but yet she shook her head. "No, nothing has happened"

"Oh come on Annika. Don't try that. Your face clearly shows something has happened. Bataogi nahi? Tumne hi toh kaha tha na, that we should share things about our life, toh batao" He prodded her.

"Ha, but I had also told that some things that are too personal shouldn't be shared" Annika replied exasperatedly and Shivaay immediately took his hand back which had unconsciously gone towards Annika

"Okay, if it is so personal, then you need not share, but at least try not to take so much tension about it. Joh bhi hai, solve ho jayega" He tried to assure her but deep down, he felt hurt and he didn't know why.

Annika let out a sigh at his words. She didn't fail to sense the hurt in his voice. She also didn't understand why she burst out like this and that too, when they were making progress in the relationship. She kept her spoon down and wiped her face with her palms to calm down. After taking a deep breath, she looked at Shivaay who slowly eating his food.

"I am really sorry" She gained his attention. "I didn't mean to be so rude. The matter isn't even so personal that you can't know. It is just that I have been thinking about this ever since you went to work and it had almost driven me crazy. I promise, after dinner, I will definitely tell you what the issue is. But please, don't feel bad because of my words. I really didn't mean it"

Shivaay smiled faintly and again forwarded his hand but stopped in between. "Don't worry Annika. I understand how it feels when for long time your brain gets preoccupied by something and you can't do anything about it. It's okay. But talking to someone about it definitely helps. I didn't feel bad and now you are going to tell me right, so we will try to find a solution to it. Now don't stress too much and eat properly. Today for a change, you haven't messed up the dal makhni and rice" Shivaay joked in order to divert her a little and it worked. Annika's shoulders relaxed and the frown lines disappeared.

Annika finished her dinner and Shivaay washed her plate as well. And Annika went to the balcony and settled down. She started playing with her dupatta while she waited for Shivaay to come. Seeing her in tension, Shivaay had offered to make her some cold coffee and she had readily agreed. She was worried about how to speak to Shivaay. On the other hand, she knew that he was the only one she had to talk to.

"Here is your coffee" She heard him and turned towards him to see him keep the glass and pull the chair opposite her to sit. She slowly picked up the cup and drank a few sips. She then felt the confidence to talk. She looked at him to see him already have his eyes on her, as if he was waiting for her to talk.

Annika cleared her throat before talking. "Actually, it has been so many days that we have shifted here and I have realized something. I get bored of sitting at home all day and roz roz beach pe jaake bhi kantala aa gaya hai. I was thinking of doing something productive" She looked at him for his reaction and he just nodded, asking her to go on.