|| 29. One Step Ahead||

"Shivaay, open the door, it's late" Shivaay rubbed his eyes and sat up in bed on listening to Annika's voice.

"The door is open" He sleepily said.

And moments later, the door knob turned and Annika entered.

Shivaay was still in bed and was rubbing his eyes groggily.

"Good morning Sunshine" She wished as she kept his breakfast tray in front of him and sat on the window sill having her tea.

Shivaay's sleep immediately flew away seeing her decked and ready for work.

"Kaha jaa rahi ho?"

"Shivaay, look at the time, I have a meeting in an hour. Office jaa rahi hu"

"Oh, I have a late meeting. I am actually dreading today's day. Mishra is on leave and that Nandini is going to assist me today. She is such a flirt yaar. Pura din mujhe ghurtey rehti hai" Shivaay complained cutely as he munched his toast.

Annika chuckled seeing this avatar of his.

"Hasso mat. You don't know her. Last time, pura din mere peeche espresso lekar ghum rahi thi and aate jaate, she was asking me if I had lunch, if I was okay and if I needed anything. Itna toh meri maa ne bhi meri puri zindagi mein nahi pucha"

"It's okay Shivaay. She has a lot of courage. Knowing you, she is doing such things and has still survived at your office"

"First of all, I don't shout on lady employees in office and this isn't a substantial reason to let her go. Kaam mein woh koi galti nahi karti. That makes things difficult"

"Awwww. Koi nahi. She won't trouble you and agar aisa kare na, toh I have an idea"

"What idea?"

"Give me a call, mein usse theek kar dungi" Annika said smiling as she got up.

"Kya karogi tum?"

"Leave that to me"

"Annika..... " He whined.

"Shivaay..... " She repeated to irritate him.

"Acha suno" He called her as she was picking up her bag.

"Yes yes, I know. I am taking Khanna and I won't argue with him and allow him to drop me at the gate. He can also wait till I enter inside and go. Okay?"

"Yeah" Shivaay smiled her a genuine smile.

"Waise, you are looking really cute like this, in bed, with disheveled hair and a toast in the mouth" Annika muttered before quickly making a run.

Shivaay cheekily smiled to himself as she went. He rubbed the back of his neck and continued eating.

Things surely were changing between them, weren't they?

•••

Shivaay had just entered his office and he was in a foul mood ever since he had left the house 10 minutes after Annika had gone. The good morning that had happened because of Annika had quickly changed into a bad one as he was continuously thinking of the day ahead. Mishra's absence, Nandini's pestering attitude and so many meetings. Additionally, the tension created by Tia and Daksh had also added to his problems.

He had a meeting for which he left and exhaustedly came back after 2 hours. It was almost lunch time. He sat on his chair, removed his blazer, loosened his waistcoat, rolled up his sleeves and laid his head back on the chair.