|| 33. Peril Knocks ||

The family finished their pooja and were now settled in the living room talking and joking with each other.

Annika had never felt so contented in her whole life. She was surrounded by people who cared for her, respected her. She had a good business going and soon, she would make a name for herself. Her brother was happy in a good school, his future was bright. Even though she was missing him, she knew that his safety was to be prioritised. Additionally, she was getting to know Shivaay more. Her preconceived notions and previous experiences were breaking as she was getting to know the real Shivaay. The person who she resented the most still existed but that person was in front of the outer world. His friendship felt like a breath of fresh air in her otherwise mundane life. She had now understood that why did the Oberoi family hold Shivaay in such high regard. He was everything to them. A protector, provider, keeper and the wall between the world and the family. Sometimes she wondered how did he manage to play so many roles, that too successfully and with a smile on his face.

"Anni, tumhari ice cream melt ho jayegi" She was shook out of her reverie when she heard Shivaay.

He was looking at her patiently while holding her ice cream bowl in his hand.

"Oh yeah, thank you" She said, taking the bowl.

"What were you thinking?"

"Nothing much"

"Really, so you were just zoned out for nothing. Pata hai, I called you almost 10 times"

"Sorry, was thinking about how beautiful this Diwali is. You know, this is the best diwali I have spent in my entire life"

"Really! It is because of my gift na" Annika rolled her eyes seeing the smirk of superiority on his face.

"God! Mr. Oberoi. How much of an importance you give yourself. Indeed, your gift was nice, but itne time mein toh aap ko jaan jaana chahiye tha that I don't find happiness in materialistic things. It is the people and their happiness that gives me joy. Look at the family, see how happy they are. They all are together and that is what matters. After that, festivals hotey ho iss liye hai na, for everyone to come together, forget personal grudges and spend time happily"

"Your simplicity sometimes amazes me"

"Waah waah, kya poetic line hai. Living with Om has really rubbed off on you" She said dramatically.

"Even though I said that your simplicity amazes me, your overdramatic self baffles me" He said nonchalantly.

"You have no escape" She giggled and he couldn't control his chuckle.

"Tell us the joke also bhaiya" Rudra's voice caught their attention. They saw the whole family who had teasing looks on their faces.

"There was no joke" Shivaay replied, seeing that Annika was getting embarrassed.

"And you, Rudra Singh Oberoi, tu aaj kal bahot hi udd raha hai. Don't forget that you still haven't gotten the car and it won't take even a minute for me to change my mind. And this isn't an empty threat, you know that, don't you" Rudra shut his mouth knowing that Shivaay was right. Shivaay grinned gaining the upper hand.

"I can always shut him up. Idiot humesha kuch na kuch demand karta rehta hai. Blackmail karna bahot aasan hota hai" He whispered to Annika.

"It is very wrong of you to do that. You trouble my Rudy boy too much"

"Fine, ek kaam karte hai. Let him embarrass us and let everyone enjoy the free entertainment, kyun?"

"You and your sharp tongue! I am not even engaging in a war of words with you. I am going" She said, keeping her empty ice cream bowl on the table and getting up.