|| 35. Come Back to Me ||

Annika entered the ward where Shivaay peacefully slept. She took tentative steps towards him even as her legs wobbled. Seeing him silent, pale and surrounded by so many machines only because of her pained her.

With difficulty, she reached to him and held his hand only to leave it immediately. Shivaay was cold. She bent more towards him to not feel his breaths. He wasn't breathing.

"Om, Rudra, Maa dekho na. Shivaay isn't breathing. Unhe kuch ho gaya hai. Please come fast" She screamed as she attempted to wake Shivaay up.

Yet, he still remained unresponsive and limp.

Om and others rushed in and pulled Annika back. She wriggled in his hold.

"Leave me Om, Shivaay needs me. He is going away from us. Mujhe unhe bachana hai. Let me go to him. You call the doctors" She cried.

"Bhabhi, woh already humse dur jaa chuka hai. He is dead. Ab Shivaay kabhi humare paas nahi aayega" Om consoled her tearfully.

"Shut up Om. He is alive. Unhone mujhse waada kiya tha that he will never leave me alone. Let me go to him"

"Bhabhi, I am sorry. But bhaiya is gone... Forever" As soon as Rudra said that, a nurse came in and covered Shivaay's face with the white cloth.

"Shivaay" Annika screamed before she was shaken and her eyes forced themselves open.

"Anu" Pinky's gentle hand was the first to reach her and that is when she noticed that she was sleeping on Pinky's shoulder.

"What happened?" Not answering her mother-in-law's question, Annika just hid her face with her hands. She wanted to come to terms with the reality that her husband wasn't dead and was still breathing. She also tried to remember how did she reach here.

When Om had come running to her, she followed him to see Dr. Malik standing there with a serious expression on his face. Annika couldn't help but fear the worst. Thankfully, it wasn't the case but there wasn't any good news either.

"Mr. Oberoi" Dr. Malik said, turning to Tej. "We have removed the bullet but Shivaay's condition still continues to be critical. The next 24 hours are too crucial for him. We can't say how his body has reacted until he gets consciousness. His heart condition also cannot be assessed. I have known you since years now and have been Shivaay's doctor ever since he was diagnosed with the heart condition, and that is why I won't mince my words. The current situation is not looking good. The operation has been very difficult. You all know where the bullet had pierced but it had also gone deep inside and we must hope that it hasn't caused further damage. If Shivaay does not get conscious in the next 24 hours, we are afraid he might slip into a coma. And as his doctor and well-wisher, I wouldn't want that. But right now, we have no other option other than wait. I myself will pray for his well-being and don't worry, I am right here. I will take great care of the man. Have hope" Dr. Malik patted Tej's shoulder before making his way.

Annika crashed down on the ground and Rudra burst into tears. Even though Bhavya held him and Om rushed to Annika, Tej was immediately by Shakti and Pinky's side, none of them could control their overwhelming emotions. It was a known fact that losing Shivaay was the biggest fear each and everyone in the Oberoi family harbored, even though the reasons were quite different. It was as if with Shivaay's going, the whole foundation of the family would crumble.

"Bhabhi, please sambhaliye khudko. Nothing will happen to Shivaay" Om tried to reassure.

"Ha, I won't let anything happen to him. Kuch nahi hone dungi mein apne pati ko" Annika mumbled and as she saw Pinky and Shakti miserable, she got up with difficulty and went in front of them. Taking their hands in her clasp. "Maa, papa, don't cry. I promise that your son will come back to you. He knows that without him, his parents will be devastated, his brothers and sister will lose their reason their living, his bade papa and badi maa will be broken, his dadi won't be able to bear it and I, I toh will face a loss I haven't faced ever before. Aap sab dariye mat. And I promise you one thing, I will leave once Shivaay is awake"