1

Derek Shepherd was exhausted but sleeping on a plane was nearly impossible for him, and now it didn't matter, because the pilot just announced that they were beginning to make their descent into New York. He had been on a plane for almost twenty-four hours and now he was finally home. The year he had spent in Ethiopia had been amazing, and rewarding. Doctors Without Borders was amazing. Everything that he had done and all the people he had seen had touched his life in so many ways. He had treated teenagers, adults and even little babies who wouldn't have been able to receive medical care.

But he was ready to be home. Ready to be back with his family and his friends and get to his new job at the hospital in New York. All his paperwork and information had been transferred from Seattle (or change the place if he was somewhere else). He had to get away from there. After his divorce and everything that had happened, staying there was out of the question. Except, he wasn't ready to go home then. So he went to Ethiopia. But it felt good to be home.

Everybody filed off the plane, glad to be able to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. It didn't take long for Derek to get through customs and get his luggage from baggage claim. The rest of his things were being shipped home. He picked up his bag and headed towards the exit to the airport, spotting his best friend Mark, leaning against his car.

"Well well...." Mark Sloan stood, clapping his hands dramatically. "Isn't it hero of the year..."

"It's nice to see you too Mark." Derek rolled his eyes.

"How are you doing man?" Mark tossed his hands around his best friend, embracing him in a hug as he patted his back.

"Exhausted...but I'm good." Derek laughed, hugging his friend.

"Mom is running around the house like a mad woman." Mark chuckled, pulling away from Derek.

"Are you living there too?" Derek asked, tossing his stuff into the trunk.

"No...I can't take a woman there and...you know." Mark smirked, moving to close the trunk.

"Yeah...I know." Derek rolled his eyes.

"How was Africa?"

"Hot...And not hot like you're thinking."

"I think you don't know my as well as you think Shep." Mark shook his head, opening his car door. "I don't always think about sex."

"Is this the same Mark Sloan who took me to the airport a year ago?" Derek asked, getting into the passenger seat.

"Yes it is...the exact same."

"That's what I thought."

"I was almost a little late picking you up."

"I don't even what to know why."

"Coffee shop girl...you should see her ass."

"Coffee shop girl?"

"Well I was tired from last night so I stopped to get a bone try cap...anyway I invited her to the restroom with me and we...but don't worry I was on time." Mark smirked. "I did my job a little faster since I was on a schedule."