16

She could be studying, or practicing sutures on an orange, but instead she was staring at the wall as she took a bite of the Ben & Jerry's ice cream that was being held in the pint that she held in her now cold hands. She was an idiot. She should be studying instead of wondering what made her leave Derek. Maybe she was a fool, maybe he was. Either way, leaving seemed alright, she just wasn't sure why she did it.

He was sexy, smart and more then willing to do anything he could to please her. But she couldn't let him. There were the obvious reasons, the ones she found herself fighting to ignore, but she couldn't figure out why she had left. Or maybe she could, and she just wished it didn't bother her. Either way she was sick of eating strawberry ice cream.

She groaned as she heard a knock from the door. Maybe it was a psycho killer, coming to put her out of her misery, Or maybe the lottery. "Come in!"

"Where are you?" Derek said, opening the door, not seeing her on the couch.

"Oh it's you." She sat up in the sofa chair.

"Yeah...It's me..." He sighed, seeing her in the big chair in the corner.

"I'm getting fat." She replied, taking another bite of the ice cream as she looked at the empty pint sitting on the side table.

"I don't think that's possible." He said, walking over and sitting on the edge of the coffee table in front of her.

"This is my third."

"Cheating on me with Ben and Jerry?"

"It isn't cheating if you're not my...whatever." She replied. "The first empty pint is in the trash...I have two more full ones in the freezer."

"We need to talk." He whispered.

"We don't have to...talking is stupid." She replied, her spoon stabbing at the ice cream.

"Fine...Then I'm just going to sit here and watch you eat ice cream until you make yourself sick."

"Hmm....okay." She replied, taking another huge bite.

"Okay..." He sighed, moving to sit on the couch.

"Yeah." Meredith replied, reaching for the chocolate syrup on the side table.

"Meredith...Stop." Derek said firmly, taking the syrup.

"Hey." She frowned.

"I lied...I don't want to see you get sick."

"I'm not going to get sick..."

"If you keep going...you will."

"Ass."

"Can we please talk?"

"About what?"

"Us." Derek replied.

"No." Meredith reached forward, taking a bite of ice cream.

"Why not?"

"I said so."

"Will you tell me why you left tonight?"

"I don't know." She said before opening her mouth wide to take a bite.

"Stop." He said, moving the ice cream out of her reach.

"Give it back!"

"Talk to me."

"No!"

"Meredith...Please..." Derek said, practically begging.

"Let's talk about something else."