13

Meredith watched as Mrs. Shepherd poured her a glass of ice tea, to go with their lunch sandwich. Her internship was just two weeks away and suddenly she felt like she might be drowning. Mrs. Shepherd was great, but she didn't know that a fight with her son was making Meredith walk around with a knot in her stomach. She hated fighting with people, but she was an avoider and she was more then stubborn. She cleared her throat, watching as Mrs. Shepherd put some mint in her tea before handing Meredith her glass. "Thanks."

"Do you want anything else, dear?" Mrs. Shepherd smiled, as she poured her own glass.

"No...this is good thanks." Meredith whispered, taking a bite of the pretzel on her plate.

"I hope this is okay...I haven't had a chance to go to the store yet this week."

"It's perfect." Meredith smiled.

"My grandkids have had me running all over the place." Mrs. Shepherd laughed.

"I can imagine."

"I've been to three recitals already this week."

"You'll have another when Stella gets big enough."

"She's already talking about taking ballet."

"That's sweet." Meredith giggled weakly, taking a bite of her sandwich.

"She's going to be a piece of work." Mrs. Shepherd chuckled.

"She already is." Meredith giggled.

"It's very hard to say no to her."

"Derek can't he loves her and....."

"Derek is the worst when he comes to all of the kids."

"Oh yeah...."

"He has bought those children more toys than I can count."

"Hmm...." Meredith smiled.

"And now we have a couple of birthdays coming." Mrs. Shepherd laughed.

"Yeah."

"Is your sandwich okay, Meredith? You've barely touched it."

"Oh um...it's good." Meredith replied, lifting her sandwich again.

"Help yourself if you want anything else." Mrs. Shepherd smiled.

"Thanks."

"I have been meaning to ask you, Dear. A couple of girlfriends and I are going to a flower show next week and I wanted to see if you wanted to join us."

"Oh um....sure."

"Great. I'll tell them." Mrs. Shepherd grinned.

"It's a flower show?"

"Yes."

"I um...I'll get a dress." Meredith whispered.

"You don't need a dress." Mrs. Shepherd chuckled.

"I...oh." Meredith giggled.

"It's like a big nursery...with tons of flowers."

"And we're just going to look at them?"

"We'll do that and we'll get some lunch. It will be a very nice day and a good way for you to relax before starting work."

"Oh...okay." Meredith nodded, the sound of feet moving down the steps. "Oh um...do you want to go out and look at your flowers. Let's go."

"Let's finish our lunch first." Mrs. Shepherd replied, as Derek came into the kitchen stopping as he saw Meredith.

"I um...Can I have a sandwich?" Derek asked.

"I think I'm done...we could go look at the flowers." Meredith suggested to Mrs. Shepherd.

"One second, Meredith dear." Mrs. Shepherd said, turning around to look at Derek. "There's an extra one in the fridge...and since when do you not say hi to guests?"

"I'm sorry...Hi Meredith." Derek said quickly.

"Hi." Meredith replied, looking away from him.

"Can I have the sandwich now?" Derek sighed, looking back to his mom.

"Go ahead." Mrs. Shepherd frowned, looking between the two of them.

"Thanks." Derek mumbled, taking the sandwich out of the fridge.

"I um...I'm done." Meredith stood.

"Why don't we go outside and look at the flowers like you said..." Mrs. Shepherd suggested.

"Sure." Meredith replied, her arm brushing Derek's as she dropped her plate in the sink.

"Have fun." Derek murmured.

"You're not there...it should be easy." Meredith mumbled.

"At least I'm not giving somebody false hope." Derek said.

"I never tried to give someone hope." Meredith whispered, tossing her napkin in the trash. "At least I'm not unrealistic."

"Whatever." Derek rolled his eyes, slamming the cabinet shut.

"Whatever."

"Derek Christopher!" Mrs. Shepherd hissed.

"Sorry..." Derek mumbled, taking his food and quickly leaving the kitchen.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what's gotten into him." Mrs. Shepherd frowned.

"Me either." Meredith glared.

"He's been in bad mood for days."

"Yeah." Meredith whispered.

"Has um...I know its not my place...But did something happen with you two?" Mrs. Shepherd asked.

"No." Meredith said quickly. "Nothing."

"Okay...I just thought maybe something happened...He's been like this since he came home from dinner with you."

"I wouldn't know."

"That's good...I guess."

"I have no idea why he would be upset with me."

"I don't either."

"I um....so do you want to go outside...to look at the flowers."

"Sure, dear." Mrs. Shepherd sighed.

"Right...outside." Meredith sighed, following his mother outside. "So..."

"Do you have a garden?"

"No...I mean there are weeds and other things...but no." Meredith sighed.

"We could get some things for you at the flower show...I could help you set up your own garden." Mrs. Shepherd suggested.

"Oh um...well I won't have a lot of time soon."

"I know..." Mrs. Shepherd sighed. "Will you at least still come see me?"

"Yeah definitely." Meredith smiled.

"Great." The older woman grinned. "At least I'll have one pleasant person around the house."

"Yeah...pleasant." Meredith whispered, following Mrs. Shepherd outside, her eyes catching a glance of Derek's as she looked up to a window in the house. As soon as he caught a glance, he stepped away, leaving her to follow his mother. She was stubborn, he liked her. There was a problem., why couldn't he see?

It wasn't that she didn't like him. He was great. He was sweet, he was attentive and everything a girl would look for. The problem was, Meredith Grey wasn't supposed to be looking. Not for love, not for joy, and not for Derek Shepherd.