3

He was late, or maybe not late. She was probably being stood up, not that this was a date. He was Karen's son and he had just asked her to go to the bar with him. Just drinks, that's all. Except not at all, because after two shots of tequila and two beers, he wasn't here and she probably looked like an idiot. She'd have another shot maybe then get out of here. Because she looked stupid and just like a girl who had been stood up. She was an idiot, the head of Neurosurgery did not want drinks with her. She was being stood up for her non date with the stupid brain man.

"Is this seat taken?"

"No...not taken." Meredith replied, finishing off her beer and sitting the glass down. "The stupid brain man didn't show."

"Stupid brain man huh?" Derek laughed.

"Huh?" Meredith frowned, looking up at him. "Oh..,crap."

"Crap." Derek grinned.

"You're late."

"I know. I'm sorry. There was traffic."

"It's fine...I just...well I had a few drinks."

"I can see that." He laughed.

"No the seat is not taken."

"Good."

"How was your Mom?" She asked, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"She's good." He replied. "Sorry she missed you leaving earlier."

"Oh...I'll stop by tomorrow or something." Meredith replied.

"Or something."

"Making fun of me?"
"Definitely not."

"I don't believe you."

"Excuse me?" The bartender interrupted them.

"Hi...Can I have a double scotch, single malt please?" Derek replied.

"And for you?" The bartender looked at Meredith, winking at her.

"I um....hi." Meredith moved to giggle. "Just a...margarita."

"Sure thing Beautiful." The bartender winked, before walking away.

"Did he really just say that?" Derek frowned.

"Say what?"

"Flirt with you."

"Oh...I don't know." She giggled.

"That's...How does he know we're not on a date?" Derek laughed.

"Are we on a date?" She asked, sipping on the left over of her beer. Drunk, she might just be a little drunk.

"Here you go." The bartender sat drinks in front of them, leaning over to Meredith. "My apartment is over the bar Beautiful."

"Oh I um..." Meredith looked over at Derek, giggling as the bartender ran a finger through her hair.

"What do you say? Come up stairs with me...my shift ends soon." The man asked, sliding an extra tequila shot over to her.

"Oh I um...I met him here." Meredith giggled, pointing to Derek.

"Is she your girlfriend?" The bartender asked, looking at Derek who looked a little pissed at the third party. "Or can I take her with me?"

"She's not my girlfriend...But we're sort of on a date." Derek replied.

"So Sugar pie...meet me upstairs at eleven?" He asked, turning towards Meredith.

"I um...Derek." Meredith pointed.