29

This was a bad idea. Terrible idea. Or it had turned into a terrible idea the second that Mark had walked in on him and Meredith. He was stupid for even coming to the hotel. She wasn't going to show up. After what had happened he couldn't blame her. She was probably angry and worried and scared. And to make things worse, Mark's words kept running through Derek's head. He was wrong. Jealous maybe, but definitely wrong. Meredith wasn't that way. She wasn't Mark.

And she wasn't coming. He had called her cell phone and told her he was going and to come if she wanted to and now he probably just looked like an ass who just wanted to sex. And to top it off, he had punched his brother in the face, leaving him with a throbbing hand as he sat and stared at the hotel room door.

"The door opened quickly, allowing Meredith to step inside as she shook out her umbrella, keeping her coat tied around her waist. "It is...raining....really raining and I thought I might not make it because I had to stop in a subway restroom and change which was creepy and weird and I'm sure half of the people in Grand Central think I'm a creeper but...what's wrong?"

"You're here." Derek said, a small smile on his face.

"I was supposed to right?" Meredith replied, frowning as he sat on the bed. She tightened the coat around her,"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong...I'm just...happy you came after..."

"After Mark?" She frowned.

"Yeah." He sighed.

"I thought about it but then I was busy at work and I missed you which is weird but...I couldn't not show up." She smiled, crossing her arms over the coat as she approached the bed. "Tired?"

"No..."

"Did I do something?" Meredith frowned as she watching him look down at his hands.

"No...Thank you for coming." He whispered, putting his good hand on her waist.

"You're being weird." She replied, her hand moving over the collar of her coat.

"Sorry."

"Maybe we should just go to bed...order dinner and we can sleep...you're tired."

"I'm not tired."

"Then what's wrong?"

"Mark and I got into a fight." Derek sighed.

"Oh...well it will blow over." Meredith whispered, rubbing her fingers through his hair.

"I hit him."

"You did?" Meredith giggled. "Wow...."

"Proof." Derek laughed weakly, holding his bruised hand up.

"Oh my...Derek!" Meredith gasped, taking his hand.

"Ow..." He winced.

"Derek you're hand is....it's swollen and bruised."

"Because I hit my brother."

"You're an idiot."

"I was defending you."

"What? Why?"

"He said some things..."

"He said things and you hit him?" She frowned, running her fingers over his hand.

"Yeah..." Derek breathed.

"Derek...."

"What?"

"You're hand...you have to cut and you're hurt."

"I'll be fine."

"Was your fight even that bad?" She breathed, pressing a light kiss on his fist. "Was it really so bad you had to lay into him?"