10

There was pink icing on her neck as Stella, Derek's niece wiped it across her cheek. For some reason, she had gotten persuaded to help decorate cupcakes for his other Niece, Amelia's school bake sale. So as Mrs. Shepherd worked consistently in the kitchen, she worked with Stella and Adam to decorate cupcakes. She wasn't sure the last time she had done something like this, but she wasn't afraid to admit that she was having some fun. "Oh...Stella try this."

"Pink!" Stella waved. "Nana....pink!"

"I can see that." Mrs. Shepherd grinned, watching as her son, Meredith and her grandchildren got icing all over themselves.

"I don't think I've ever seen so many icing colors in my life." Meredith giggled.

"It's Shepherd family tradition." Derek laughed, as his nephew dropped one of the decorated cupcakes into the floor.

"Uh oh!" Adam gasped.

"It's okay buddy..." Derek laughed, patting the little boy on the head. "Meredith, can you grab some paper towels?"

"Yeah." Meredith stood, leaving Derek at the table with his four year old nephew and two year old niece. They were being very casual and simple as they worked together, not exchanging more then a quick glance. "Mrs. Shepherd...how much more do you have to bake?"

"Not too much. When these cookies come out of the oven, I need to run to store." Mrs. Shepherd replied.

"Meh dith...look!" Stella held up her cupcake, with yellow and pink icing spilling over the sides.

"Oh....cute." Meredith giggled.

"Good job, Stel." Derek smiled, as Meredith handed him the paper towels, their hands lightly brushing.

"Here."

"Thanks."

"Stella...do you want sprinkles?" Meredith looked away from him, sitting back down at the table.

"Yeah." The little girl bounced.

"Ooooh..." Derek laughed, as he cleaned up the icing off of the clear. "Sprinkles."

"Uncle Derek!" Adam gasped.

"What is it, bud?"

"Stella is little...but I'm a strong boy."

"Yeah you are." Derek laughed.

"Okay big boy...Grandma has to go to get the roast for dinner..." Mrs. Shepherd said, as she dried her hands.

"Nana!" Stella held her messy hands up. "Me go?"

"Not today, sweetie."

"Nana." Stella pouted.

"Stella...." Meredith quickly cut in, holding a bottle of green sprinkles up. "Look...."

"Gween!" Stella pointed to the bottle.

"Go do your sprinkles and I'll be back before you know it." Mrs. Shepherd laughed, kissing the little girl on the top of the head. "Derek...Keep an eye on things?"

"I will." Derek smiled, as he handed another cupcake to Adam.

"Deck!" Stella giggled, pointing to her uncle.

"I think we'll be just fine Mrs. Shepherd." Meredith giggled as she pulled Stella into her lap.

"Okay...I'll be back soon." Mrs. Shepherd smiled, as she left the kitchen.

"Stella...try." Meredith giggled, holding some icing to Stella's mouth.

"Bad influence." Derek smirked.