44

Her hands were shaking as Derek stayed next to her, waiting for his mother to get off of the phone with Nancy. They were going to finally tell her that they were engaged. Derek had wanted to rush over and tell his mother instantly, but instead they decided to wait, until Meredith was calm. Two weeks later, here they were, in his mother's kitchen, watching as she laughed, leaving Meredith to want a quick exit.

"Relax." Derek whispered, as they sat the kitchen table, trying to stop Meredith from fidgeting.

"I think I left the stove on at home." Meredith whispered.

"You don't cook."

"Oh...."'

"It's going to be fine."

"How did you propose to your first wife?"

"What?"

"How did you asked Addison to marry you?" She asked, whispering so his mother wouldn't hear.

"I um...We were on a ferryboat in Seattle...at sunset..." He replied.

"Ferryboats...." Meredith whispered, moving to get up from the chair.

"What are you doing?" Derek frowned.

"We can't tell your Mom about our trashy proposal."

"It wasn't trashy."

"Sunset and ferryboats....that's...we did it after sex." She whispered.

"Sunset and ferryboats...and looked how that turned out." Derek whispered.

"Still...I asked with no ring and in an un-made bed." Meredith put a hand over her head.

"We don't have to tell her that."

"Then what do we tell her?"

"That we were in bed...just leave out the sex part."

"This is stupid."

"We're telling her." Derek laughed.

"Let's just tell her we think I'm pregnant and see how she reacts from there." Meredith rolled her eyes, watching as his mom left the kitchen.

"I don't think so." Derek laughed.

"I'm calling it off." She said quickly.

"Meredith..."

"This is embarassing and humiliating and..."

"Hello kids." Mrs. Shepherd smiled, walking into the kitchen with the turned off phone in her hands. "Sorry...I got a little caught up."

"No problem, Mom." Derek smiled, standing and kissing his mother on the cheek.

"So what brings you two here today?" She asked, reaching for a tray of cookies and bringing them over to the kitchen table.

"We have some news."

"Bad news...I'm sorry." Meredith said quickly.

"Oh dear...." His mother frowned.

"It's not bad news." Derek laughed, taking Meredith's hands.

"Yes it is because it's...." Derek stopped Meredith, leaving Mrs. Shepherd to look confused between the two.

"So is it good or bad?" Mrs. Shepherd laughed awkwardly, as Derek squeezed Meredith's hand.

"It's very good." Derek smiled,