Chapter 14: Team Argument

"What do you mean he stayed behind?!" Miko whined. "I thought you said you'd get him back!"

"We would have... But he chose to stay behind..." Optimus repeated. "I'm not sure why... But I hope it's for good reason..."

"What if he betrays us?" Arcee asked. "We shouldn't have left!"

"I'm well aware of the consequences... But something in me told me to let him stay..." He explained.

"That's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard!" Fowler snapped. "You should've brought him back!"

"Agent Fowler--"

"No! You always make up some dumb excuses for your mistakes! I'm tired of hearing em. You could put everyone in danger!"

"I chose to let him stay..." The prime muttered. "I'm sure he has a plan..."

"Are you?!" Fowler asks. "Or are you just telling yourself that to make yourself feel better?"

"Will you quit it?!" Jack snapped.

"You stay out of this, boy--!"

"No!" Jack shouted. "I know what it's like to make a difficult decision. To choose between something you want and what you need to do!" Everyone froze at that. All eyes and optics were on Jack now. "Optimus has been fighting even before we've met him! He's probably 100-- maybe even 1,000 times older than you-- and you think you have any authority against him?!"

"I don't need a lecture from any 16-year-old." He spoke.

"Then act your age, and maybe I won't have to give a 50-year-old a lecture!"

"Quiet! Both of you!" Ratchet ordered. "I'm tired of all this bickering! We aren't going to get anywhere by arguing..." Everyone went silent. Ratchet looked to Optimus, who seems strangely silent. "I may not agree with his decision... But his strange decisions are the reason we've gotten this far." Optimus smiled at that. Fowler scoffed and left. Jack sat down; he needed a cool down.

"Geez... I've never seen Jack this angry before..." Miko whispered to Rfaf.

"I have..." Raf spoke, before marching towards his friend. Jack's head hung down; his hands still scrunched into fists. Raf sat next to him. Unaware that Optimus was listening. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"No." Jack replied.

"I figured..." The two were silent for a moment. "H-Hey, everything's going to be alright! Like, Ratchet said-- We've come this far because of Optimus!"

"I know..." Jack sighed. "I-It's not that..." 

"Then... What is it?" Raf asked. 

"Fowler had no right to treat Optimus that way..." Jack muttered. 

"In what way?" Raf asked.

"Like a kid!" he shouted in a whisper. "Optimus is like-- over a thousand years old! And yet Fowler acts as if he knows better!" 

"And you?" Jack paused. Then sighed. 

"I know I shouldn't have compared myself to Optimus... I-I'm nothing like him..." Jack hung his head in defeat. "Plus... I'm like-- not even half as old as Fowler..." 

"From what I've learned, age doesn't determine your maturity." Raf soothed. "It's about how fast you're forced to grow up... and how you choose to react to... difficult situations." Jack raised his head to reveal his tear covered face. " You have every right to be angry with him. Also... Remember what Ratchet said? Optimus used to act just like you" Jack smiled at that.

"Fowler and I aren't even Cybertronian..." Jack spoke. "If anything, we'd be the last people to know how much Optimus knows about this whole mess."

"That's why you sided with Optimus." Raf pointed out.

"Yeah..." Jack spoke nervously. "I guess so." Optimus smiled at the two, despite his doubts, he appreciated Jack's support as well as Ratchet's trust. But there was still something he was worried about. 

(At the Nemesis)

Megatron followed Soundwave to the main area, "Where are you taking me?" Soundwave kept silent. Megatron looked up to see the computer. It was similar to the one Optimus set up in his old room. Not as big as the one at home base. Soundwave raised a claw in front of the gladiator to stop him in his tracks, before walking up the the computer. Megatron looked around the room, nervously scrapping at his arm upon realizing him and Soundwave were alone.

"Stop that." Soundwave spoke without looking back. Megatron froze, unsure what he was referring to. "I was wondering what happened with your claws..."

"I... I did it all the time... Back on Cybertron."

"I know." Soundwave hushed. "It took a while to get you to stop." There was a small pause.

"Why did you bring me here?" Megatron asked. Soundwave stayed silent for a moment.

"I was hoping... Showing you would help gain back some of your memory data."

"Show me wha-" Megatron looked up to see what looked like a graveyard. "What... Where is-?"

"This... is Cybertron." He spoke, looking to Megatron. The gladiator could only stare. "This is the result of the war..."

(Suddenly Megatron could see it. He was there, in that exact place. His blade covered in energon. His claws dug deep into... "Bumblebee...?" He thought to himself. He let go, staring at what he'd done, frozen in place. "Little... menace..." He heard himself growl, panting. And soon he was sent back to reality.)

"Many of us were killed..." Soundwave spoke. "The Autobots-"

"Silence." He interrupted with a mutter. "Don't you dare...blame this on the Autobots..." He voice became louder.

"I'm only trying to bring you back to us-" Soundwave raised a servo towards Megatron, but he quickly slapped it away.

"Don't touch me!" He growled, bearing his teeth. Soundwave only stood there. The gladiator couldn't tell what the ex-counsel member was thinking. He didn't really care at the moment. He needed to be left alone.

He sped past Knockout. "Megatron?" He called out. But he didn't stop, he kept going. He didn't know where he was going, but he needed some space. It wasn't until a familiar face walked out one of the rooms that he stopped. The pilot let out a high-pitched shriek.

"M-My lord!" He stuttered. His wings held down, he seemed a bit frightened. The gladiator stared for awhile before speaking.

"Starscream...?"