Chapter 26: Race to the Stars

"I'm not sure that's a good idea..." The medic warned.

"It's not like I'll be taking him to the Autobot base..." Starscream argued. "We don't even know where that is..." Knockout hummed in thought. "Just a simple race above ground. You've raced before, haven't you?"

"It's not up to me..." Knockout spoke. Everyone turned their helms to face Soundwave. He stood there a moment, as if he was thinking, before nodding his helm.

"Yes!" Starscream whispered to himself, clenching his servo in cheer. Megatron chuckled at the seeker; amused by his excitement.

"I still don't think this is a good idea." Knockout pushed, crossing his arms. "What if something bad happens?"

"I'll try my best to protect the both of us if something does go wrong." Megatron promised. "Besides we have a good medic here on the ship." Knockout gave a shy smile. It was the first time anyone said anything nice about him.

"Thank you." He spoke.

"Let's go!" Starscream chirped; his wings fluttering eagerly. Megatron snickered at the child-like behavior as the seeker ran off, before following close behind.

"Wait up, Star!" He giggled. Hardly managing to keep pace. They ran passed a couple vehicons who grew confused and concerned by their leader's behavior. No one could see it, but Soundwave smiled behind his visor. It was nice to see Megatron so generally happy. It was rare to see back on Cybertron.

Eventually, the two flyers got outside. Still on the ship, but outside. Megatron looked up to see the stars. It was the first time he was out at night. Megatron watched in awe. Passed all the stars, many lights years away was his home planet. Somewhere he was sure he would never return to anytime soon. "Megatron?" He stiffened upon hearing his name, looking down at Starscream.

"Yes?"

"Are you... alright?" He asked. Megatron nodded, a small smile on his face.

"The space rocks are quite pleasing to look at from far away..." Megatron spoke softly. Starscream smiled at his leader.

"Is this really your first time seeing the stars?" Starscream asked.

"Back on Cybertron... I was mostly working in the energon mines." Megatron started. "Even in the arena, I haven't had time to look up." Starscream's smile faded; his wings lowered slightly. "Humanity is lucky to be able to see such a lovely sight. I wonder what I would've seen if I had looked up while on Cybertron." Despite everything, he was smiling. Starscream couldn't understand how he could. "You ready to go?" Starscream nodded, but not as eager as before. Megatron went into vehicle mode, hovering as he waited for Starscream. Starscream transformed, and soon they flew off.

Starscream struggled to keep up with his leader. He felt that the more Megatron flew, the faster he became. He wasn't sure how to feel about that. Megatron never went too far. The gladiator knew that if he tried to fly off, Soundwave would surely do worse than simply 'ground' him. He didn't want to put the Autobots in danger, so he kept close to Starscream. He flew as high as he could, before gliding back down. Starscream watched in awe. Seeing his leader act less than a leader was strange to him. Megatron chose to simply spend time with him, and he couldn't understand why.

"You seem to be having fun." Starscream claimed. Megatron flew beside the seeker; matching his pace.

"Weren't you the one who wanted to race?" Megatron asked. "What's keeping you?" Starscream wasn't sure how to answer.

"I've was wondering," Starscream started. "How can you trust me enough to fly with me?"

"What do you mean?" Megatron asked.

"You remember all the times I tried to end you, don't you?" Starscream asked. "All the times I tried to take your place? How can you trust me after that?" Megatron kept silent for a moment. Starscream didn't like the silence. It freaked him out.

"I... Had a Master who acted the same way I did towards you..." Megatron explained. "I know what it's like to feel like the only way to escape is to get rid of the problem..." Starscream almost completely stopped mid flight. "I understand where your hatred comes from..."

"I-I don't hate you." Starscream stuttered.

"Don't lie to me, Star..." Megatron mumbled.

"No! Really!" Starscream argued. "I never hated you. I just hated how you started treating us..." Both went silent. Megatron wasn't sure what to say and Starscream didn't want to say anything he might regret. "I... I just wanted... To protect everyone..." Megatron took note of how shaky the seeker's voice was. Starscream was scared.

"I understand." He said simply. Starscream wasn't sure if he believed him or not. He didn't get much time to think when he was suddenly shot out of the air. "Starscream!" Megatron called out. Megatron transform and grabbed ahold of the seeker before they both fell to the ground. Megatron was the one to cushion the fall.

"Megatron!" Starscream gasped. He panicked as he placed his servos over Megatron's chassis. Megatron winced, struggling to open his optics.

"Are you okay?" He wheezed. Starscream grew even more upset. How could he worry about someone else when he himself was possibly injured?

"Are you okay?!" Starscream repeated. "That was a long fall." The seeker helped the gladiator to his pedes.

"Yeah. I'm fine." He huffed. Suddenly, someone landed straight behind them. Both turned to see the culprit.

"Your metal armor is stronger than I thought~" she cooed.

"It's you..." Megatron mumbled.

"Arachnid..." Starscream growled.

"It seems my Insecticon failed to deactivate you." She confessed. Megatron's servo twitched.

"It was you!" Starscream growled. "You ordered the Insecticon to hunt me down!" The femme gave a twisted smirk.

"Who else?" she purred. She then looked to Megatron. "You know-- I find it quite amusing how easily you exploit Soundwave's kindness to get what you want. You aren't even trying, which is impressive~" Megatron grit his denta as he clenched his servos. "Speaking of Soundwave..." Megatron suddenly found himself stuck in a web. He tried helplessly to free himself, but to no avail. "You may be just who I need to get his attention~" Arachnid was suddenly met with a missile to the hip, which sent her flying. Starscream took the opportunity to free his leader. Megatron quickly rose to his pedes.

"Come on! Lets--"