Chapter 23: On Speaking Terms

Megatron's POV:

"Take care. All of you." I spoke.

:{We will!}:

Knockout ended the call. "You seem to really like the human children." I nodded in response. We turned to the sound of the door opening. As promised, Starscream returned with energon cubes.

"What did I miss?" He asked. Starscream set the three cubes down, before picking up two and handing them out to us. Knockout grabbed both and handed one of the cubes to me.

"You didn't miss much." He started. I grabbed the cube and took a sip. "We just spoke with the human children."

"The Autobot pets?" He asked. I growled in response.

"Children... Not pets." I corrected. His wings fell back slightly.

"R-Right. Children." He repeated. "But you contacted the Autobot base?" He asked.

"Megatron may not be able to leave, but that doesn't mean he can't call and check in~" Knockout took a sip. "Besides, he's still on the ship, isn't he?"

"I'm pretty sure the whole reason Megatron is... grounded, is because of his relations with the Autobots." Starscream reminded.

"Come on, Screamer. It's not like they're planning to scheme." Knockout pushed. "We were merely speaking with the children."

"Still..." Starscream mumbled. "You never know with Soundwave." Megatron's servos twitched at the name. Knockout quickly noticed.

"There's no need to worry about Soundwave." Knockout reassured the two. "He may be scary, but he doesn't harm without good reason."

(Flashback)

"I'm only doing this to keep you in line..." Master growled. Holding a tight grip on my wrist, his claws dug deep enough to draw energon. "Next time, don't give me a reason to hurt you..." When I didn't respond, he got in my face. "Do I make myself clear...?" He growled. I nodded frantically, before he let me go. I stumbled back, holding onto my wrist as I watched him leave. My whole frame was aching. At least it wasn't as bad this time.

I turned to face the others, who looked just as terrified. One of the miners walked up. "Thank you... For sticking up for me..." He mumbled. I nodded in response. Unfortunately that would be the last time I see him. It wasn't rare for one of us to be crushed in a cave-in. The worst part is that no one would come to pick up the lifeless framework. We were forced to work around it.

(Memory End)

I shuddered. Knockout looked to me with concern. "Are you alright?" He asked. I nodded in response, holding tightly onto the energon cube. He quickly grabbed the cube from me upon noticing. "H-How about you try and get some charge, huh?" I looked up at the two, confused. "You've had a long day." He placed the energon cube on the desk next to my berth. "If you need me, I'll be in the medbay." He promised because gesturing for Starscream to follow him out the door.

No One's POV:

"Did you see that?" Knockout asked. "It looked like he was about to shatter the cube..." He whispered.

"Yes..." Starscream replied. "Do you think we upset him?"

"How should I know?!" He whispered. "I mean-- he didn't fuss when I took away the cube."

"It almost looked like he was thinking..." Starscream noted. "Whatever it was about, it seemed to startle him."

"Maybe he received a new memory?" Knockout added. Starscream flinched at the idea. "He's slowly getting more irritated and... Possibly aggressive."

"I noticed that too..."

"I'm not ready for him to return again!" Knockout panicked. "We were just starting to get along!" Starscream began to tremble. "Screamer...?" Starscream began panting, barely able to remember to vent. Knockout quickly noticed the behavior and held onto the seeker's arms. "I-It's okay!" He tried to soothed. "Screamer, look at me." Starscream frantically looked at the medic's face, struggling to keep his gaze. "T-Try to calm down, okay?" Starscream suddenly grit his denta. Pulling away from the medic.

"Don't tell me what to do!" He shouted. "I'm not a weakling!"

"I didn't say you were!" Knockout shot back. "You were trembling not too long ago. I was merely worried."

"I don't need your pity!" He snapped. He transformed and flew off the ship. Knockout stood there for a moment, unsure what to do. He was losing both of his friends. He forced his tears back. Standing back on his pedes, not realizing he was kneeling in the first place.

"Claptrap..." He muttered to himself. Stomping towards the medbay.

--the next day--

Megatron walked through the halls a couple times. Mostly to keep his pedes moving. He never liked to stand still, especially if he had free time. Soundwave was used to this behavior of his, however everyone else were still uneasy. To see their leader ponder about without a care in the world. They were so used to see him working.

Occasionally, some decided to pick up a conversation with the brute, surprised to be treated as a friend, rather than a worker. Soundwave made it clear to everyone, that anyone who tried to take advantage of the Warlord would be punished. Some of them even preferred the Megatron they were used to. It didn't take Megatron long to meet a familiar, yet unfamiliar face. "My apologies. Am I in your way?" The con looked at him sideways.

"Uh... No, sir." He spoke.

"You look familiar." Megatron stated. "What's your name?" The con blinked a couple times, still unsure of what he was witnessing.

"Dreadwing." He spoke. "My name is Dreadwing, Lord Megatron." Megatron huffed in frustration.

"Just call me Megatron..." He begged, before continuing his walk cycle. Dreadwing looked back, a bit concerned before deciding to follow the silver mech.

"Uh... Pardon my... confusion, but-- is the war over?" Megatron froze for a moment.

"I-I'm not... really sure." Megatron confessed.

"How can you not be sure?" Dreadwing pushed. "Aren't the the Decepticon Warlord? The leader?" Megatron stiffened.

"Soundwave is the current leader for the time being..." He announced. "I... I was told that I need some time to... To regain my strength."

"What about the cause?" Dreadwing asked. Megatron tilted his helm in confusion. "The Decepticon cause?" He added. "Are you even Megatron?"

"That... is my official designation, yes." Megatron was starting to get irritated. "Why?"

"Cause I've never seen a Warlord get so soft." Megatron grit his denta upon realizing the situation, because those were fighting words.

"I don't like your tone..." He growled, clenching his servos as he took a step forward. Dreadwing soon realized his mistake, holding his helm down in obedience.

"My apologies, Lord Megatron." Megatron rolled his optics before turning away.

"For the last time... Just...call me Megatron..."