Chapter 22: Grounded

(Megatron's Flashback - POV):

"Do not take me for a fool, Starscream!" I shouted. He flinched back, his wings falling swiftly behind him as he whimpered. "I've been wise to your transgressions from the beginning." I took a step closer, causing him to step back. "Not only did you pluck the dark energon from my chassis, in a failed attempt to extinguish my spark." I confessed. "But you also tried to raise your own undead warrior with it. It's no secret that you lost your arm in the process, which you since have replaced."

"Y-You know about that?!" He yelped, panicked. He stumbled back.

"Soundwave is quite competent in surveillance. I assure you." I answered. "You know, Starscream..." I mocked. "Despite your treachery, I've only kept you in my ranks because I found a certain delight in following your stream of failures." With each step I took, he'd flinch back. "But you've started to become tiresome, predictable. You've hit rock bottom." I growled, before aiming for his helm. He quickly fell to his knees.

"Forgive me, Master! Give me one more chance." He begged, his wings dropping down in shame. "I beg of you!" He lowered his helm to the ground.

(Memory End)

I looked to Starscream, who seemed very nervous. He was always nervous around me. Now I know why. The new memory I just received, it was difficult to forget the fear in his optics. If he truly did attempt to deactivate me, I wouldn't hold it against him. I remember feeling the same way about my master. Especially with what Optimus told me, if I truly am the cause of the destruction of Cybertron, why should anyone forgive me for that?

"Megatron?" I snapped out of my thoughts. My gaze fully met Starscream's. "Why are you just staring at me?" He wings fell back, but the little wings stayed up, meaning he was either nervous or confused. Maybe he was feeling both?

"I am merely thinking." I replied. "My apologies... I did not realize that I was staring." Doubt was all I could read of his expression. He swiftly covered it with a distant expression. He did that a lot; cover up his true emotions with a mask of fake confidence. I decided to leave him alone after that.

I guess I should've expected Soundwave to start asking questions. "Why did you leave the Nemesis?" He asked.

"I... Needed out of the ship..." I spoke.

"Why?" He asked.

"I've been on the ship for too long..." I lied. "I simply wanted to scan the world below us." Soundwave stood silent for a moment.

"I'm am no fool." I tensed. Did he know?

"I... I know that." I promised.

"Who is this?" I froze at the sound of Ratchet's voice. "This is Megatron. I... I was hoping we could meet up at base?" Of course he was listening... "Why were you at the Autobot base?" He asked.

"I... I just wanted to catch up with them..." I lied. "I told you I spent time with them didn't I?" He slammed his ped, which startled me. I stumbled back, my servo to my chassis. He sped towards me, and I almost backed into the wall.

"You are not to leave this ship without my permission." He ordered. "Do I make myself clear?" I nodded my helm in response. For a moment, Soundwave was starting to look like my master. He stared at me for a moment, before taking his leave. Knockout stood there with Starscream, waiting for Soundwave to be out of sight before he ran up to me.

"Are you alright?" The medic asked. "You're shaking." I hadn't realized that my frame was indeed shaking until I looked at my servos. "Come on, let's get you to your room." He soothed, guiding me to said room.

"It's strange to see Megatron so... skittish."

"Hush it, Starscream." Knockout ordered. "Now's not the time." I sat at the edge of my berth, replaying the recent scene in my head.

"I do have a question." I looked up at Starscream in response. "Why were you at the Autobot base?" He asked. I was starting to get annoyed.

"I already answered that, didn't I?" I growled. He tensed up, his wings moved back slightly. I immediately felt guilty, venting in defeat. "I simply wanted to speak with them again..." I looked to Knockout, who nodded to show he understood. It wasn't a complete lie, but I did do more than catch up with the Autobots. I'm glad I had the chance to warn them. Especially since I'm not longer allowed to leave.

"I wasn't expecting Soundwave to ground you." He teased.

"Ugh... Again with the puns..." Starscream muttered. I smiled up at the two, trying my best not laugh.

"Now where's your sense of humor, Screamer?" He mocked.

"Puns are the lowest form of humor...?" He retorted. I let out a quiet snicker, causing both cons to steer their attention towards me.

"Look at that... Someone actually enjoys my humor~" he chirped. Starscream only rolled his optics.

"He clearly doesn't know any better..."

"And you do?" Knockout shot back.

"No fighting." I warned. They both froze for a moment.

"Moi?" Knockout placed his servo dramatically to his chassis. "I would never~" he spoke sarcastically. I smiled at him.

"I... Need to refuel..." Starscream announced. "I'll bring back a couple energon cubes." He promised before taking his leave. I waved him a silent farewell.

(At the Autobot Base)

"We're getting another call from the Nemesis." Ratchet announced.

"Megatron?" Arcee asked. Ratchet answered the call.

:{Is this the Autobot base?}:

"Who is this?" Ratchet asked.

Knockout:{The one and only, Knockout.}

"What are your intentions?" Optimus asked.

Knockout:{I simply want to inform you that Soundwave has... grounded Megatron from ever leaving the ship.}

Miko giggled. "Wait-- Seriously?!" She chuckled. "Big M really got grounded?"

Knockout:{Yes, well-- Soundwave found out that he had left the ship to visit the Autobot base.}

Everyone tensed. "So... When will he be... Ungrounded?" Raf asked.

Knockout:{That... I'm unsure. It may be awhile. The answer may even be never.}

"Or until he regains his memories." Ratchet added. Knockout sighed in response.

Knockout:{Maybe...}

"Where is Megatron now?" Jack asked.

Megatron:{I'm right here, next to Knockout.}

"Are you okay, Megs?" Miko asked.

Megatron:{I am quite alright. How is school?}

"Boring... As usual." She pouted. Megatron chuckled from the other side.

Megatron:{Try to stay out of trouble.}

"Kinda hard when she is the trouble." Bulkhead joked.

"Hey!" Miko whined. Megatron snickered.

Megatron:{Take care. All of you.}

"We will!" Raf promised. Knockout ended the call after that.

"So he lost his memories?" Smokescreen asked.

"That's what we've been trying to tell you." Bumblebee beeped.

"Huh..." Was all Smokescreen could reply with.

"He's nothing like what we're used to seeing from him." Bulkhead commented. "It's like he's a completely different person."

"Many years of neglect, fear, and war have completely drained all the good from his spark." Optimus spoke. "We should take the time to cherish what he had lost so long ago before it disappears again." Everyone stood silently. No one was sure what to do next.