Chapter 18: Where have you been?

Knockout's POV:

I ran as fast as I could. Following the energon trail, I began to leak lubricants. I've already lost Breakdown, I can't lose him too. "Starscream?!" I called out. There was no response. "Where are you?!" Still no response. I was panicking. My legs hurt, my spark hurt, my whole frame was overheated. I stopped for a second to let myself vent. "Starscream..." I huffed. "Please don't... Don't leave us yet..." Once I had cooled down. I continued to follow the trail. "Starscream!" I called out. "I...I can't--" I whispered to myself. "I can't lose you too..." I whined. "Please! Say something!" I begged. "Anything! Where are you?!" As soon as I said that sentence, I found him. "Starscream!" I yelped. I couldn't think of the last time I felt so relieved. "Come on, Screamer! Wake up!" I whispered. He didn't budge. "Starscream?" I mumbled. I took a closer look at his frame. He was covered in claw marks and energon. It must have come from the Insecticon. "Hey..." I began to shake him. Desperate for any sign of life. "Hey!" I panicked. "Wake up! Starscream!!"

He groaned, clearly in pain. "For sparks sake, shut up..." He growled. He froze when finally looked up at me. "Knockout...?" I couldn't help but smile. "Are you... Leaking lubricants...?" He asked. I sniffled, wrapping my arms around him as if it would protect him.

"I thought you were deactivated..." I whined. "I thought..." I couldn't stop shaking. I pulled away to get a good look at him. "Where... Where have you been?" I asked. "How long since you were attacked?"

"I... I can't remember..." He slurred. "It wasn't that long ago... I don't think..." I could tell he was out of it. He needed patching and quick. I pulled him up by the arm.

"Come on, Screamer..." I struggled to bring him to his peds. "We need... To get you... Patched up."

"A-Ah!" I loosened my grip. "O-Ow..." He whined. I froze, my spark heavy. I didn't want to hurt him more than he already was. Maybe I should've let the other two come along. Then Soundwave could bridge us back to the ship. I could feel his arm vibrate as it rested on my shoulders. He was in a lot of pain. I placed him back down.

"S-Sorry! I'm sorry..." I panicked. He coughed, energon spewing from his mouth. I froze, unable to process what was happening in front of me. I was going to go get the others, but I didn't want to leave him. Not now. I'm afraid that if I leave, his lights would go out. And I didn't want to come back to something like that. So, I decided to stay with him. "It's going to be okay..." I reassured him. He only looked at me, gasping in pain. I could see the fear in his optics. I hate seeing him like this. "You're going to be okay..." I was trying my best not to sob. I'm sure he could hear the sadness in my voice. My mouthpiece quivering, I had his servo held in mine.

"Knockout..." He spoke, his voice sounding strained. "You... You're not an... incompetent medic..." My optics threatened to leak. "I... was just... Irritated... I... I didn't mean--"

"--I know. Save your strength... We're going to get you home..." I spoke. "And you're not an embarrassment, Starscream. You never were and never will be." I promised. And for the first time, he smiled at me. A genuine, content smile. That was until someone called out for us.

"Knockout?! Starscream?!" He shouted from afar. "Where are you?!" Starscream panicked hearing Megatron's voice.

"D-Don't worry!" I reassured. "He's going to help you." Starscream gave a doubtful look. "Megatron, Soundwave, and I are going to get you home. Okay?" Starscream nodded weakly. I looked towards the direction Megatron's voice came from. "Over here!" I announced. It didn't take long for the two to show.

"Scrap..." He huffed, startled at Starscream's weakend state. "Soundwave! Bridge us back immediately!" And with that, a ground bridge was opened. I gently pulled him back up, as best as I could without hurting him. Megatron noticed my struggle and held onto the other side of Starscream. With each whimper and whine, we eventually made it through the ground bridge.

(On the Nemesis)

When I got him to the operation table, he immediately fell into recharge. I didn't mind, if anything it made things easier. Starscream was never an easy patient to patch up. He never stayed still, which is why it always took so long to repair him. From what I could see, Starscream had more injuries from the Insecticon than what Megatron usually gave him. Despite that, he looked so peaceful. Which is a rare sight to see on this ship. "Is he going to be okay?" Megatron asked suddenly. I jolted, completely forgetting he was right beside me.

"I think so..." I huffed. "What happened while we were waiting?" I asked.

"Optimus wanted to speak with me, but Soundwave insisted on following you instead." Megatron explained. "I guess he was right to do so." He looked to Starscream, who was still charging. I smiled at my leader. To think he used to be so friendly before... Everything that's happened. I'm glad I got to see this part of him. I wouldn't have been able to believe it otherwise.

"What do you think he wanted?" I asked. He tilted his helm in confusion. "The Prime?" I added. He only shrugged. I turned my attention back to Starscream. "I was wondering what took him so long to return..." I commented.

"I assumed his long absence was normal..." Megatron confessed. "I should've--"

"--Don't." I barked. "This isn't your fault..." He didn't believe me, I could tell by just looking at that expression of his.

"How long until he awakens?" He asked. I paused for a moment. Unsure of the answer, myself.

"It may be a while..." I replied.

(At the Autobot Base)

"It didn't seem like they were causing trouble." Bumblebee beeped.

"Just because they didn't attack us, doesn't mean they aren't up to no good." Arcee shot back.

"At least we know what happened to the Insecticon." Jack added. Arcee rolled her optics. She's been doing that a lot lately.

"Starscream is not one to be underestimated." Optimus stated. "However, that doesn't mean he's invincible... The Decepticon medic seemed quite eager to find him."

"He seemed a little upset. Almost like he was panicking." Bumblebee added. "Do you think Starscream was injured?"

"Why does it matter?" Arcee asked. "It's Starscream."

"Well, yeah. But just because he's a Decepticon doesn't mean he deserves to go offline." Bulkhead spoke. "No one does. Right Optimus?" Bulkhead turned to face his leader. Optimus nodded in response. It was then that Bumblebee noticed someone was missing.

"Where did Wheeljack go?" He asked.

"He left awhile ago." Bulkhead replied. "Like I said: he never stays long."