Chapter 17: Who Did This?

Megatron was the first to enter the other side of the ground bridge. Then came Knockout, who was struggling to stay calm, and lastly Soundwave. "A-Are you sure you two really need a medic?" He asked.

"If you wish to return to the ship, you may ask Soundwave to bridge you back." Megatron replied. "No one had forced you to join us. I only asked if you would be willing to."

"I-I know. It's just... I'm not used to..." Knockout practically curled into himself. "Usually I'm ordered to search for energon..." He whispered. "Or fight with an Autobot..." He paused for a moment. "So... Where is it? The Insecticon?"

"It should be nearby." Megatron answered, turning to Soundwave. His visor showed that they were close to the sight. "Be sure to look out for anyone else who may be injured. And remain alert..." Megatron ordered. "Whoever or whatever deactivated the Insecticon may still be around."

"Of course..." Knockout sighed. Knockout summoned his new cannon. It was simple, but effective. Just in case he needed to use. Now that he has time to work on his personal projects, he was able to make a stable short-range weapon. Though, he had a feeling he didn't need to use it. They walked for awhile, making sure to check for anyone else. The three remained cautious, worried that whatever could've deactivated the Insecticon was close by. With each tick, Knockout grew more and more nervous.

"Are you sure that this is where the Insecticon sight is located?" Knockout asked impatiently.

"Yes... I'm certain." Soundwave spoke suddenly. Knockout flinched upon hearing the spy's voice.

Suddenly another ground bridge appeared. Megatron and Soundwave froze. Knockout tensed up. Optimus, Arcee, and Bumblebee soon came through. Soundwave drew his weapons, but Megatron quickly placed his servo over the cannon. "Stand down." He ordered. The Autobots stiffened upon seeing the Deception Leader.

"Megatron?" He asked. The gladiator nodded in response.

"Long time, no see." He spoke. "May I ask what brought you here?"

"I was gonna ask the same thing..." Arcee growled.

"Arcee." Optimus spoke. "Stand down." Arcee rolled her optics. "Fowler reported a deactivated Insecticon nearby." The Prime explained. "We came to make sure whoever caused such damage would not be a threat to the creatures of Earth."

"How are you two able to speak to each other so easily?" Knockout whispered loudly.

"I did say I had spent some time with Optimus Prime, did I not?" Megatron asked.

"Well-- Yes, you did. It's just... This is a very odd sight for me." Megatron nodded to show he understood. He then turned to Bumblebee.

"How are you, BeeBee?" He asked. "I realize that my sudden disappearance may have worried you."

"I'm... doing okay." He beeped. "I was only a little shaken." Megatron tensed, hearing Bumblebee's voice. After the memory he had first received, he wasn't sure he could ever forgive himself.

"I'm glad you weren't fatally injured." Megatron confessed, a sad smile planted on his face.

"BeeBee?" Soundwave repeated. Everyone tensed.

"Uh... Yes. That's the nickname I've given Bumblebee during my time with the Autobots." Megatron answered. Soundwave only stared at Bumblebee which made everyone uncomfortable. Knockout noticed that Soundwave's servos were clenched and decided to change the subject.

"Well-- we should probably look for that Insecticon." He spoke loudly. A short, fake laugh exited his voice box. "L-Let's go, everyone!"

"Right." Megatron spoke. He turned so he was facing everyone. "It shouldn't be too hard to find." The two teams began to look around. Megatron felt he had to keep a close sight on Soundwave. He knew him too well. The way he was staring at Bumblebee worried him. "Soundwave." He spoke, gaining the spy's attention. "Stay close by." He ordered. Soundwave nodded obediently.

Optimus silently watched Megatron from afar. He was curious of the mech's experience with the Decepticons. If they had hurt him, if they had tried to manipulate him. If they did anything to him at all. He seems way more reclusive than he was back at the Autobot base. Less talkative, not quite stoic, more civil. He so badly wanted to speak with him again. He wanted to understand what changed; to ask about his experience with the Decepticons.

Maybe he could do so after the mission, if Soundwave allowed it? Optimus found it admirable how protective Soundwave was of Megatron. However, he wasn't so fond of his behavior with Bumblebee. "Optimus?" Arcee spoke, startling the Prime.

"Yes, Arcee?"

"You plan on searching with us, or are you just gonna stare at your boyfriend?" She teased.

"I would not consider Megatron my romantic partner." He confessed. "He's more of a brother to me." Arcee rolled her optics. She didn't care either way, she just isn't comfortable with Megatron being so close by. She didn't trust him.

"I found it!" Knockout announced. Everyone ran towards his voice. Knockout scanned every dent and scratch on the Insecticon. "Whoever did this..." He started. "They were desperate to deactivate it."

"So, it's a person?" Arcee asked.

"I recognize those claw marks..." Knockout whispered. He quickly turned to Megatron. "How long has Starscream been absent?"

"Since you told me that he took flight..." Megatron answered. "I haven't seen him since." Knockout's expression was unreadable to Megatron. "Do you think he...?"

"I'm going to go find him..." Knockout muttered. He turned to the Autobots. He stared for a moment, and then glared at the Autobot Leader. "Have any of you seen him?" He asked, panicked. They all shook their helms in response. Knockout frantically looked everywhere for a clue. A smidge of hope and fear entered his spark when he noticed a trail of energon. He turned to his leader. "I'll go find him!" He promised. "W-Wait here!"

"Wait?" Megatron asked. "Shouldn't we find him together?"

"I'm the medic!" He snapped. Immediately regretting his decision. Megatron stared at him with a startled expression. "I-I... I'm sorry..." He whined. "I shouldn't have yelled..." He once again paused. "I won't be long." He promised. Everyone watched as Knockout ran off.

"What was that about?" Bumblebee asked.

"I'm... Not sure..." Megatron answered.