Chapter 5: Not Today, Babushka

The sun's rays greeted me - hands extended as if to pull me out of bed.

It seemed that my dark heritage had claimed me at this moment. I groaned, turned over and pulled the covers over. A meek attempt to return to my slumber and avoid whatever the Darkling had planned for me today.

Unfortunately, I was not to be left in peace.

The covers were ripped from my grip, and I moaned in response.

"Gen..."

I opened my eyes only to be met with a harsh hazel stare.

"Zoya?"

"I don't like it either, but the Darkling has sent me to attend to you this morning."

"What of Genya?"

"She's returned to her duties at the Grand Palace."

I winced.

I remembered what happened to her there. That bastard of a king. I had never been more grateful that the Darkling would take his place.

I returned my focus to Zoya, making an observation. People like her needed to be met with the same ferocity she presented to others. That would be the only way to get her respect. Channelling this mindset, I straightened and returned her stare. I would not be embarrassed. Not by a squaller - no matter her future history.

"So what has the General planned for me today?"

The harshness in her gaze wavered. It was fleeting, but I noticed. The wall she had so carefully built had a weakness. Perhaps she was finally seeing what it meant to be in the presence of a shadow summoner. Little did she know there was so much more to behold.

Her voice was better at concealing her true feelings but not a perfect mask.

"As you are still on the mend, the Darkling has postponed combat training, so you will focus on your summoning. After breakfast, you will be escorted to Baghra to commence your training."

Baghra.

I hadn't seen that woman in a long time. She and the Darkling had their issues, and nobody was to press it. I was willing to oblige. Nobody needed to open that can of worms.

"Where is breakfast?"

"It will be brought to your room. Nobody is to know of your existence yet. Not until the Darkling..."

"Until the Darkling what, Zoya?"

She hesitated now, her wall's foundation now crumbling.

"Until he figures out who you are."

Just in time, a slave girl entered with a tray. The food was not as appealing as I was used to, but it would do.

I supposed that's what being a tsar's favoured did to you.

Zoya seemed to notice my disdain and felt the need to comment.

"For a girl found in the middle of nowhere, you sure have exquisite taste."

I frowned.

But at the same time, why should she owe me respect? She didn't know.

I decided to forgive her impertinence today.