Chapter 35: The First of Many Eclipses

ALINA

He loved me.

Me.

Alina's thoughts were racing. What should she even say to that?

There was nothing to say that.

She knew she would love him too. She had an eternity with him, after all. She had children with the man. He was her future. There was no doubt about that. But right now...

"Aleks, I'm..."

ALEKSANDER

For once, the Darkling's words were not calculated. The words simply came out, and he had not thought to filter them. Stupid. How could he have been so? Perhaps he had taken it too far. He hadn't even known her that long, but he had been waiting for aeons for her. For this very woman in front of him, he would have done anything. She was his light in a very dim world. She brought him hope. There was no other explanation. He knew it. But Alina was still so many lives behind. How could he have expected her to feel anything remotely the same? She still had so much life to live. He had forgotten. She was not there yet.

He hoped he hadn't scared her.

"No, Alina. I was rash. Forgive me for my outburst."

"Aleks..."

"I shall take my leave."

"Wait."

She reached out to him, encircling his wrist in her grip - like the sun reaching for her stars.

Immediately, they were enveloped by the Sun Queen's power, a cage of light surrounding them in its embrace. Aleksander was in awe.

He decided to break the silence.

"I do not expect the same of you, Alina. You have much ahead of you. You are still young, and you still have your tracker..."

"I am not leaving you, Aleksander. Look at me."

He did.

And he could not fathom what he saw.

Her face was glowing. Full of power. Looking back at him were two golden suns, glistening. He could feel the heat radiate from her gaze as if the sun were her two very eyes. It was glorious.

"I may not be able to say those words now, but I will. I will always be here. Always."

He could wait. He'd done it for centuries. He could do it for a few more. He struggled to keep his gaze on her. She was a flame. A star so bright his eyes were not worthy. But he persisted. He was determined to face her. He moved to close the space. He brought her into his embrace, and let the heat of his other half burn him. His kefta was singed. He did not notice, nor did he care.