Chapter 15: Your Queen Awaits

Hey guys, 

Just a heads up. This chapter is heavily based on the books, with practically all the dialogue coming from the Shadow and Bone book. All rights to Leigh Bardugo, of course. This chapter was also really long so I split it into two chapters of which the second will be posted tomorrow or Thursday depending on how many people read it within the next two days. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it and let me know your thoughts below. 

I woke with a start. Mother? Was she here yet?

There was no crowd - just a few corporalki huddled around me.

And the Darkling. So, no. So far, so good.

"Good, you're up."

That sounded more like the Darkling I knew. The General's voice, albeit not loud, was clear. Commanding. We were in a war tent and based on the space and the clear emphasis on ebony tones, we were in his tent.

So she was coming.

Pushing the healers out of the way, I found my footing and rose to my full height. I met the Darkling's gaze, spotting a flicker of concern before it completely diminished, his eyes once again blank quartz slates.

"So, is it her?"

"Who?"

"The sun summoner?"

He sensed my hesitation but did not inquire. Instead, he beckoned me forward to him. Once I was close enough, he gripped my wrist and led me to his side.

With a murmur that even I wasn't sure I was meant to hear,

"Let's find out, shall we?"

As I was beginning to wonder, Grisha filed into the tent, lining up in their respective orders. I even saw Zoya taking her place with the squallers. Soon after, some otkazat'sya were brought in - I'm assuming first army witnesses from the skiff. I recognised one of them. A tracker. He was the one Mother had been... Mal, I realised.

It didn't take long.

Mother appeared, dragged in by a Colonel. I remember Mother mentioning his name when she told me the story. Ah, yes! Raevsky.

His features had a pointedness to them, almost bird-like. Like a crow, I thought.

A high-pitched snicker resonated from the etheralki's side. Zoya. She whispered something to the girl beside her, and they both laughed. I rolled my eyes. I couldn't help but wonder, were all Grisha this petty? I could see Mother glaring at her. Challenging the squaller with all but her eyes. She was always Sol Koroleva. As Zoya returned her stare, she lost her confidence, looking away immediately. I smiled at the sight.