Chapter 29: The Sweetest of Realisations

The Darkling's POV

How did this happen?

A question I still cannot answer.

She just appeared, and I accepted it. No questions asked. I have experienced many things in my life - love, sorrow, loss, disappointment, and betrayal. After a while, you start to see patterns, the same eyes in different people. It gets repetitive. Soon enough, the feelings fade. They don't burn like they once did. The time passes, the faces blur. The pain ebbs away at its edges until... until you are left with nothing.

Or so I thought.

I will never forget the day when Zoya brought her in. I knew as soon as I saw her. There was no denying it. She was my daughter. Mine. The only question was how, and yet even that did not matter. I have spent centuries dedicating my life to protecting the grisha, my people. We were enslaved, ridiculed, and burned simply for being. I had sacrificed many, mourned, and shed blood and tears for a purpose - to avenge my people. Or at least that is what I had told myself. But as I had watched her in a peaceful sleep, I had realised the truth. I knew that everything I had done, all that I would do - it had all been and would be for this gift in front of me.

I remember when I had her kefta made, the blue she insisted on wearing. Insolent child. When would she realise her worth? When would she accept her power? When would she realise she is like no other? Chosen to shine brighter than any one of our kind. A child of the shadows and sun alike. She is eternal. My future. My true purpose.

I remember her smile that day as she burst through the door, laughing away. There was never a more beautiful sound. I had never felt such warmth. No one would ever dim that light again.

I wonder what happened in those years ahead. I understand what I am. I know I am a monster. But it hurt when she flinched from my touch. That she would not let me hold her. She does not fully trust me. She could never truly love me. Not the way she loves her mother. It stung. The pain I know I deserved.

I failed her.

But I would fix this. In my very long life, despite everything I had been through, I never thought I would have such an opportunity. I never thought I would experience fatherhood. I never thought I was deserving of such a gift. Even if I never fully receive her love, I will spend the rest of our eternal lives proving that I will never stop loving her. I will do everything in my power to make that happen.

I watched as she scribbled something in her notepad. She really was fond of the library. Something she and I shared. I smiled to myself. I wonder if Mother ever had these moments with me. The way she frowned in concentration, pursed her lips in thought, trying to solve some puzzle. It reminded me of my Merzost days. Saints forbid if she ever put herself in that danger... what had she done to me?

I don't even recognise myself anymore.

"Hello, Father."

She greeted me with the most stunning smile. A true child of the sun. I couldn't help but return it despite my nature.