Chapter 37: Paying the Price

LEKSI

I thought I could find answers here, but alas nothing. The library was filled with pages and pages of knowledge and yet there was no answer to the show that happened last night. No answer to my conundrum - no answer to me.

Nothing could explain what I was.

I am an abomination.

The thought was scaring me now more than ever. It was becoming a problem as this was no longer about me, but affecting those I love too. It was messing with Mother and Fathers' lives. I was already changing the timeline. I know Father was reluctant to send me back but now with the King on alert, it was probably time we made some developments in that area.

It could mess with the timeline.

What would it be like when I got home?

Merzost... merzost.. merzost. The bane of my existence. Yes, it had made me feel sick when I had summoned, but it hadn't taken anything from me. With Father, his nichevoy'a gave him pain. With Mother, it had aged her hair. That was its price. It was not a 'small science'. It took. But not from me. What did that mean?

Again those words rang in my head.

I am an abomination.

"No!"

"Hel..." I began.

"You are not an abomination."

I was in Father's study. I think this was our thread. Shadows ebbed at the corners of the room, waiting protectively like guards. Father was tense, I realised.

"I never want to hear those words again."

I smiled.

"What happened to privacy?"

"You'll get some with a more positive mindset," was his response.

"Then what am I?"

"You know who you are."

"Do I? I think my little light show proved otherwise."

"You are special, you are grisha."

"That was no small science. That was an..."

He cut me off before I could repeat that word.

"You come from a special line of grisha, milaya. One of a kind. It is only natural..."

"Natural? Natural?" I boomed. "Nothing about this is natural!"