Chapter 21: We're Finally a Family, Father

"Wake up, Princess."

Fedyor was just as bright and cheerful as before we started the journey. He had no right to be.

"Wha... why" I groaned.

"We're home."

I looked out the carriage, and he was right. We were already here.

"I slept for three days?"

"Seemed you needed the sleep, Summoner," Ivan piped in.

He really had his pick of moments.

"Oh, come now, Ivan. It was a long journey."

"Three days, Fedyor?"

I already had enough of this.

"Alright, I'm getting off now."

As I moved to the door, Fedyor seized my wrist - not threateningly, but not gently, either.

"No, wait... please, we'll stop. The Darkling would kill us if we let you go unescorted."

"How would he even know?"

"Because..."

"Because he's waiting for our arrival," I finished for him.

I was delighted to see that Mother was with him. She was grinning and waving. The Darkling looked, well, happier than usual. My excitement got the best of me, and I waved just as enthusiastically. Seeing Mother seemed to do that to me - no matter the time period. I felt like I was eight and not eight hundred.

"Stop the carriage!" I cried.

"Wait, we're nearly there," Fedyor tried.

Before he finished his thought, I had already opened the door and was already making my way out.

"Wait, for goodness sake..."

Fedyor rushed to follow behind me, but I was running. Running towards Mother, her arms extended, ready to embrace me with the sun's warmth. I let the comfort of it wash over me. Being in her arms was home.

"Moi Soverenyi, I..."

The Darkling raised his hand, immediately stopping Fedyor in his tracks.

"Thank you for bringing her home safely, Fedyor. Tell Ivan to report to me later."