Chapter 16: Your Queen Awaits Part II

His command sliced through the crowd like the cut, and an ominous silence replaced the mutterings of seconds ago.

"Tracker," the Darkling said lightly, "what did you see?"

The collective turned to Mal, who turned to Alina (who was too busy looking at me) before turning back to the Darkling.

"Nothing. I didn't see anything."

"The girl was right beside you."

Mal nodded.

The girl. For some reason, the Darkling referring to Mother as such did not sit right with me.

"That's not how you address a Sun Summoner," someone muttered.

I looked up - to see Mother was still staring at me, smirking now.

Oh my... did she have a death wish?

"Sorry?"

The Darkling's tone was light and playful. And when I turned to him, I could see his lips twitch, almost ready to smile. He was amused.

Mother just shrugged.

Eyes still on her, the Darkling continued to question Mal.

"You must have seen something."

Mal looked at Alina, his gaze weighted with concern and fatigue. Mother wasn't even paying attention to him. I almost felt bad for the guy.

"Just tell us what you remember, tracker," Raevsky interjected.

Mal winced at the pain from his wounds, but like the first army soldier he was, he continued. 

"I was on my back on the deck. Alina was next to me. I saw the volcra diving, and I knew it was coming from us. I said something and-"

"What did you say?" the Darkling asked.

"I don't remember," his descendant said flatly.

Oh gosh. I'm the tracker's great aunt. Why had that never occurred to me?

"I smelled the volcra, saw it swooping down on us. Alina screamed, and then I couldn't see anything. The world was just... shining."

"So you didn't see where the light was coming from?" Raevsky asked in a sarcastic tone.

"Alina isn't... she couldn't..." Mal shook his head. "We're from the same... village."

That's interesting. Why'd the tracker hesitate?