Chapter 25: Moya Rebe, Moya Luna, My World, My Everything

"Oh, come on, it wouldn't hurt..."

"No, Alina."

"Why not?"

"You know why."

"No, I don't."

Mother and the Darkling were in their chambers. It must have been the end of the day. What was this?

The Darkling sighed. Perhaps this was an ongoing argument?

"Alina, there will be no others like us."

"You don't know that. Baghra produced you, and your Father was only a heartrender."

"Alina, please. It will only cause you more grief."

"You can't be the only person I spend eternity with."

This made the Darkling smirk.

"Oh? Surely that isn't the worst thing in the world..."

Slowly, he started tracing her neck with kisses... Ummm, why am I seeing this?

"I think I can change your mind..."

OH, MY SAINTS... my hands were over my eyes in an instant.

Hear no evil, see no evil...

"Depends. Do I get my baby out of it?"

He immediately seized his kissing.

Thank the Saints!

"Alina, why do you want a baby so much?"

"I always thought I'd have a family eventually. And being immortal... why should that change? You've never thought about it, Aleksander?"

Something dark crossed over his face. Remorse. Loss. I didn't quite know what to make of it.

"Alina," he drew her in, "I gave up on such delusions long ago. That life isn't meant for people like us."

There was a long pause before anyone spoke. A reflection on what that truly meant for them both. 

"Aleks, look at me."

He did.

She cupped his face in her hands. He closed his eyes at her touch - a comfort only she could give.