Chapter 9: Yes, Mother. Yes, I will.

I couldn't help but wonder how he put the pieces together.

Who's to say your Mother isn't out there too.

What could he possibly have deduced?

There is no way he knew I could be from the future. There was no way he could think I was his daughter. But he believed it so.

He wanted to believe it.

I had never realised how lonely the Darkling would have been before Mother. Maybe that's where the fondness came from? Had the Darkling ever wanted... dare I say it.... a family? Did he ever think he would have one? So many questions and theories that would be left unanswered.

This brought me back to the present situation.

Did he think my Mother had been in hiding for a few years?

Mother.

The thread. I could see it now. This time solid, thicker. More sure than last time.

That only meant...

Youthful shock met my gaze.

A young girl filled with trepidation stood before me. A young woman uncertain of who she was. The image was startling in its own right. The Sun Summoner who didn't know she was a Saint.

This girl was not Sankta Alina.

This woman was not Mother.

Not yet.

I couldn't help the wave of disgust that surged through me. How could the Darkling do this to such a young... I suppose loneliness has no bounds. But looking at her now, I couldn't justify the Darkling's actions to come. It was wrong. It would be cruel...

"You!"

The accusation was piercing, frightening - a reflection of the girl who wielded the word.

It was so unlike the Alina I knew.

"I... you're real, aren't you? This isn't just..."

"I'm real."

Her glare softened, but the fear was still palpable. I suppose being seen was not something a first army soldier would be used to.

Well, hopefully, she could adapt.

"Who are you?"