Chapter 33: Precious Gem

ALISTAIR

"Aleksander, I can't seem to find my..."

It took her a second.

"ALEKSANDER! For Saints..."

Before she finished her sentence, there was a flash of light, rendering us all blind. I then realised I could breathe. Once my sight came back, I saw the Grand Palace split in half. An ominous silence spread across the room. A testament to the fact that only one person could put the Darkling in his place.

The Sun Queen had arrived. Mother.

"ALEKSANDER! What is the meaning of this?"

Another flash of light appeared. Although, this one was smaller and quicker, striking the tsar across the face with a sharp smack. It wasn't every day the Darkling was humbled. And there was only one person who could get away with it. Of course, he did not respond. I suppose there really was nothing to say.

"Aleksander," she began, "Why are you STRANGLING OUR SON?"

This time blades of light burst from her palms with those last words, hitting everything in their path. I even saw the Darkling flinch. Sometimes, with the Darkling's reputation and his use of Merzost, I forget how powerful she is.

They really are equals.

"Alina, please..."

"PLEASE? PLEASE WHAT? LET YOU CONTINUE..."

"Mother," I interjected.

"Alistair."

She rushed over to me, caressing my cheek.

"Healer, we need a healer."

"Mother, it's no big..."

"No big deal? Seconds more, I would have only had one child."

"About that..." I began.

"I think your father and I need a little conversation..."

"Leksi is missing," the Darkling announced.

This silenced the Sun Queen. She turned to me, searching for answers of which I had none.

"What do you..."

"Alistair, if you could so kindly give your Mother and me some privacy. I will send a healer to your room."

The closest thing I would get to an apology.