Chapter 36: Gathering The Puzzle Pieces

LEKSI

Father hated the king. It was obvious. I watched as he addressed the Royals. There was a lack of respect between the two parties.

"Moya Tsaritsa."

"Darkling," she acknowledged.

"How are you enjoying the festivities?" he inquired.

His smile was false, a true noble of the court.

The king was not impressed. He looked down on him, but he was wary. Perhaps even afraid. I suppose that made sense. Everyone was.

That's when he interjected.

"You've done well."

"For the little palace," Her Majesty added.

Son of a...

Father didn't let that rattle him. There wasn't time because that's when the Sun Queen entered.

Mother.

She was the living sun.

The room stopped in its tracks.

Even the Darkling himself.

As if there was no one else in the room, she walked right towards the general of the first army - as if she had every right. I watched as she leaned in, whispering something.

He smiled. And this time, it was genuine.

What the heck?

He took her hand, and they made their way to the floor. No way! The Darkling never danced. And yet...

Once the quartet started, they were off, the summoners were in sync with each other. It was... something else. Father wasn't known to be a world-class dancer, but something was captivating about this pairing. Mother and Father never missed a beat. It was as if they were the melody and harmony of the song. Nobody joined them. It somehow wouldn't have been right. But everyone watched, in awe of what was before them. Even the Royals had to take a pause. Little did they know why. Whether you were a believer or not, you had to acknowledge this spectacle was ethereal. This was a dance between the shadows and the sun.

Mother glowed. Orbs of light were shooting off of her, bouncing around in excitement. Tendrils of shadow rose to meet her stars, circling them with a gentleness I did not think shadows were capable of. I didn't know what to make of it. Was that intentional? The shadows were slightly hesitant, afraid, and giddy in their movements. Were they afraid, in awe? It was sweet. Is that how Father felt about Mother?