Chapter 27: Like A Father

"Good Morning, Moya Luna,"

Father was in a good mood - something happened last night.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Mother let out a giggle.

"Your Father and I were just getting to know each other a little better," she claimed, patting the dark king on his knee.

He smiled at the gesture, obviously pleased. My eyes widened.

"You were talking all night?"

"Indeed, little Leksi..."

"Little? You do realise I am eight hundred. I have centuries on you, both of you..." I emphasised, eyeing the Darkling as I said that last part.

"Oh, come now, Leksi, I just meant..."

"You're still our little girl," Mother finished for him.

She came to me, bringing me into her embrace that I could not fight. As I let her hold me, she gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. There really was no winning with her.

"You really love your mother, don't you?"

His tone was gentle and meaningful, but there was something melancholy to it. Why should such a positive thing be so... mournful?"

"I do," I acknowledged, "my Father too."

I watched as something broke in him. The despair in his eyes was gone, replaced with, I don't know what... longing? Before I realised he was on the bed with us. Both Mother and I were in a crushing embrace. We laughed as the air was squeezed out of our lungs.

"Father, we can't breathe," I jokingly wheezed.

Immediately he let go, cupping my face in his hands and pressing a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you too, moya rebe."

"You do?"

"More than anything," he whispered.

I knew how he felt about me. He had shown me countless times, even as I tried to deny it. But something about him saying it out loud; was just what I needed.

"Well, look at you, Leksi. You've achieved the impossible. You have the mighty Darkling wrapped around your finger."

The comment did not bother Father at all, surprisingly. He just continued to hold me close like a precious jewel.