Chapter 10

I still remember that day. Two weeks before winter break. It was Monday and I didn't suspect a thing. The week before Summer paid him to flirt with me. It was my Christmas present, but all it was, was embarrassment. I came to school without a clue of what Lina was going to tell me. She walked up to me like it was nothing.

"Hey Paris, Toby moved." I heard that and I was crushed. I dazed off and wanted to cry, but I couldn't cry, I couldn't show emotion. Every night I would think he would come back, but he never did. That was 6th grade. He was the reason I hated 6th grade. It was like déjà vu. Once again my crush was moving, except I knew about it. Which wasn't much better. It is like a weight that was going to fall on me and I was waiting for it to happen. The suspense was killing me.

"Bae...bae...." Keeley started to shake me. I was in my own little world.

"Bae, what's wrong?"

"Kobe is moving," I tell her with no emotion in my voice. I was still staring into the distance. I would try to cry, maybe it would make it better. I couldn't really cry until it happend, but once it does I won't be able to control myself.

"Bae.....I'm so sorry...."

"It's happening again," I saw once again looking into the distance without a trace of emotion in my voice.

"What is happening again?"

"My crush......he is leaving.....again."

"Toby....."she whispers. Keeley and I were in Journalism and the last thing we were going to do was work, and I had too much on my mind. Keeley was trying to find out what was wrong, and she succeeded.

"Look if it makes you-."

"No offense, but you don't know what is going on. Luckily for me it's already happened and I know that the only way to get over this is for him to not move, or I have to let time heal me," I interrupt. Keeley looks at me with tears in her eyes. She only cries when I cry, so I guess I was crying.

The rest of the week was kind of a blur, not that I was upset the whole time, but nothing really happened. I wasn't going to let this boy drama ruin my 8th grade year. I just needed to tell myself that he might not move. I needed to keep hope, because I was good at that. I had hoped that Toby would come back....but he didn't. Even though hope hasn't worked for me in the past, you never know what the future might hold.

-----------------------

I sit silently in Miss Marge's class, my social studies 5th period class. Kobe still sat next to me. It was awkward but he had no idea I had feelings for him. Miss Marge was talking about the Constitution. 8th graders have to take the big Constitution test at the end of 2nd quarter and we going to get started on it soon.

"Can Paris, Jules, Pedro, and Kobe please report to Mrs. Short's room," announced the intercom. I look at Kobe and at Jules. I had no idea what this was for. Jules was one of my many other friends. We sometimes hang out but she spends most of her time with this other crowd. Pedro I don't have much to say about he is just this guy who goes to my school. Everyone who was called up to Mrs Short's room went to camp so this had to do with some Leadership thing. The camp we went to was supposed to tell us about how to be a leader. The camp was fun especially all the non learning things.

We arrive in Mrs. Shorts office and I was right. She wanted us to be on the Leaders in Life Planning Committee. It sounded pretty dumb but I would get to spend some time with Kobe so that was a win. I need to spend lots of time with Kobe before he....you know....moves.

"So do you want to do this Leaders in Life thing?" He asks.

"Mmm.. not really but it will get me out of class," I reply.