Chapter 16

I extremely apologize for stalling this chapter.. I was going to update this a week back but somehow I have been so busy lately that I could hardly get any time..

I haven't even been able to express my own views on what I am writing at present, but soon enough I will be doing that as well, until then reading all of yours..

I read all the comments, thankyou each and everyone of you for taking out their time to vote, comment and express their views..

Forever Grateful for all the love and support..

Enjoy Reading!

___

Manik's eyes fluttered open at the stubborn sunshine trying to escape through the cracks of his curtains. His eyes hurt, red and swollen. His head throbbed early in the morning.

His room was dark, unlike other days. Nandini always woke up before him so he never had to wake up in the darkness. By the time he would open his eyes, the curtains would be undone, and his slightly warm tea sat on the side table.

It was their normal routine until she got pregnant but even then, there had never been a day he had to open his eyes to the never ending darkness in his room.

The thought of Nandini brought back the bitter memories of the previous day, the joy that had turned into deep sorrow.

He had things to take care of and here he was sleeping without any care.

A knock on his door disturbed him and he stood up to open the door. It was Cabir calling him for breakfast. Manik ignored the sympathy in his brother's eyes and told him he would be there in few minutes.

Manik spent the next half an hour of the day while freshening up and trying to figure where half of his things were. At last, he walked out of his room with his shirt half tucked, no tie and blazer in his hand.

Hanging the blazer on the back of his chair, Manik took a seat on his usual chair. Nobody said a word, he didn't feel like greeting anyone either. He silently picked up his plate and started serving himself.

As per his habit, Manik picked another plate when he was done serving himself and started serving. He didn't realise everybody had stopped eating or were staring at him. It was until Mukti who sat on his other side held his arm.

Mukti: Bhai.

And Manik stopped at once. The muscle in his jaw twitching. Realisation dawned upon him. Nandini was not here, who was he serving for?

Navya: Are you okay, bhai?

Manik nodded, taking a deep breathe. He stood up abruptly, wanting to leave immediately but stopped when his father's stern voice called out for him.

Raj: Sit down. We need to talk.

Manik: I have a meeting.

Raj: I don't care, Manik. Sit down.

Manik stood still for a moment, taking his own time to decide if he wanted to disobey and leave but then, ended up doing the opposite. He sat back but didn't dare to look at his father. The last thing he needed right now was a lecture on how to behave.

Manik: Say.

Raj: Manik.

Manik clenched his fists, anger taking the best of him. He felt stupid that he had to sit there and hear his father scold him. He dared to glance at his mother who looked back at him helplessly and Manik hated that look. He was helpless at this point too.

However, He didn't want to worsen the situation or fuel his father's anger. He sighed, still staring at his untouched plate.

Manik: I am sorry for misbehaving yesterday. Maa, I am sorry.