Chapter One - Parting

My name is Kai Satou. I like to call myself a rather unremarkable homemaker, though that's not who I am at the beginning of our story. You see, I was raised in an unloving household full of chaos and despair. My father, Gashu Satou, is full of pride and ego. Me and my brother Rio Ranger have to deal with his nonsense. From birth I was raised to be an assassin, but I cannot seem to bring myself to kill another human being. I suppose that makes me useless to the Satou's, and that's where we are now.

"Kai, you need to pack your bags. You are leaving to go to Egbenedia. Your boat leaves at 9:00 tomorrow morning, sharp. You musn't be late or we will have to find punishment." My father said to me on his usual dull tone. His words would normally affect any child who's father said that to him, but for me it doesn't. I'm 22, living with my father against my will. I have wanted nothing more than to move out since I was a child. However, I needed to maintain my composure as to not annoy my father.

"Yes, father." I responded. I waited for his go-ahead and left for my room. You see, I'm not allowed to leave my fathers' presence unless he nods his head. That is his way of saying, "You are dismissed." If I leave without the signal it would be seen as a sign of disrespect and I would be punished. As if I wasn't always in punishment.

I hurried up the stairs and entered my room. I turned the lights on, though they didn't help much. However it was okay, my eyes had gotten used to seeing in dimly lit rooms after all of these years. I sit on my mattress, forgetting that my legs are too long and i end up kneeing myself in the face. I don't have a bed frame, so my mattress is very close to the ground.

"Curse these damn legs," I mumbled to myself. "Why do I have to be so tall?"

Suddenly, there's a knock on my bedroom door. I open it and get greeted by a tight embrace. Before I'm able to process what's going on, I feel tears soaking through my shirt. Darn, my favorite shirt, too! It had a picture of a cement block on the front. I guess I'll have to wash it before I go. I quickly regain my senses and realize it was Safalin.

"Tia, you startled me! Please, be more careful next time." I stated.

Through her tears, Safalin mustered up the energy to speak. "Kai... I'm gonna miss you so much!" I smiled slightly, out of pity. I was going to miss her too. But, I think I would be happier out of this household. "Do you need me to help you pack? I can start a load of laundry, if you need! I can help fold them too!" She offered.

I love Tia. She's shorter than me by a lot, but again, who isn't? She has light green hair and is always wearing a blue sunhat with an ice cream shaped attachment on top. I didn't necessarily need her help, but it would be nice to have her around for what I could. "Saf, I'd be honored to have your help." And just like that, we got to work.

-3 hours later-

"It's all done..." I said. I looked over at Tia and I could tell she was getting emotional. I set a hand on her shoulder and she gasped. "It is alright, Tia. This won't be the last time you see me."

Little did I know how true that statement was.

"You should probably head to bed, Kai! It's getting late and you have a big day tomorrow." A concerned Safalin says. I take a moment to think, and eventually gave her a thumbs up and a smile. She smiled back at me and headed out, closing the door politely (unlike another family member I know). I set my suitcase by the door and lay on my bed. I only have one suitcase because I don't really own a lot of things. My ankles slightly hang off the bed due to my incredible height.

-In the Morning-

I wake up and rub the sleepy out of my eyes. I sit up and look at my hands. Hm, I must have sleep walked again. I was holding a frying pan. I tend to do that quite often- however, this time it appears to be dirty. As if, perhaps, I had used it to cook an egg? Soon I hear Ranger burst through my door without a warning, and I jumped.