Chapter 24 - Return to Sara Island

Alice and I landed on Sara Island, in pretty much the same place we had arrived the first time. it was so silly! We walked to the other side of the beach, finding an opening in the trees to slip through. We didn't know where Ranmaru was, so we started to head to the apartments. There was not much chat along the way- we could not afford to get caught.

"Yeah," I heard a deep voice say. "I think Nao went to the tower, she should be back soon, though."

I peered through the bushes and saw two people, one with a head of dark blue hair and one with lime green hair. The green one was very short, and the blue one was muscular and dark. They both turned around suddenly and I grabbed Alice to hide down lower.

"I thought I heard something..." The lime haired one said.

"Me too... We outta get going. C'mon, the clothes aren't going to sell themselves." The blue haired man responded. As they left our vision, I gripped Freeda tight. We could not afford to get caught before we saw Ranmaru.

Once they had finally walked away, I slowly stood up and gestured for Alice to do the same. We took a couple deep breaths to calm our nerves, and headed towards the hotel from there. Luckily we did not encounter anyone else. However, now was the hard part. Getting to Ranmaru's apartment on the second floor. We slowly opened the doors to the apartments after making sure no one was in the area, and then ran inside. We went to the stairs and tried to run up quickly and without making too much noise. Alice was surprisingly good at this- it must have been because of his time spent running from the police. I was good at it as well, as I had to run up the numerous stairs in my house sneakily to avoid talking to my father.

My father.... I had forgotten about him. He was terrifying- a 20 foot tall man. I can't believe I took after him- with my height and all. I must have looked sat, because once we got to the top of the stairs Alice stood in front of me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Kai, it is alright now. We will be okay. Your father is not here."

I realized a tear was rolling and I wiped it. I raised my head to look at Alice, but saw a figure just behind him. I pushed Alice aside and put on my brave face, walking toward the man confidently.

"Good morning," I said, nodding towards him while walking.

"Greetings, human," It said to me, walking past. Alice looked terrified, but I grabbed his wrist and pulled him along. The person who walked past continued walking, not bothering to talk to us anymore. We got to the end of the hall and knocked on Ranmaru's door, seeing it quickly open to Ranmaru looking no different than how we first met him.

He smiled and greeted us, allowing us inside. I ran (quickly, due to my long legs) to the height adjustable chair and sat down, letting out a sigh of relief. I liked to sit comfortable. Alice sat down on the sofa, and Ranmaru sat down at a recliner which looked new.

"So, how was getting here?" The sheep spoke.

We explained how we saw the lime-haired person as well as the blue-haired person. We told him the story of the person we saw in the halls, and asked who it was.

"That was Benji, no one really likes him, except for one person. He lies a lot and is kind of..." Ranmaru paused. He leaned in towards us and spoke in a whisper. "...emo."

Emo? Oh goodness, this was not going to be a fun trip with an emo on the island. I wonder who his friend is? While my thoughts stayed on the emo, I saw Sheepmaru get up and walk to his fridge and pull out a pitcher full of crystal light peach iced tea. That sure snapped me out of the emo-thoughts. I smiled.

"That's my favorite," I said as he poured us each a glass.

"Thank goodness, because I bought a lot for you. While talking to Queen Sara, she started to rant about her daughter Kanna. Kanna mentioned to her mother how you really like crystal light peach iced tea, so I thought I had to get you some. After all, you are the saviour of Egbenedia. It was the least I could do."

I smiled and nodded. The title of saviour seemed a little extreme, especially since I had not saved anything or anyone yet. I shrugged it off and grabbed the glass Ranmaru offered and took a sip. Relief. Somehow, crystal light peach iced tea always helped me feel safe and at home.

"So... what are we going to do first?" I asked.

"It would be a good idea to show you both to your respective rooms, but it might look weird." Ranmaru responded.

I nodded my head. "So, are we to go at night?"

Ranmaru nodded as he took a sip of his tea. We sat in silence, finishing our tea for a while. There wasn't much to do, but I thought it might be suspicious if we stayed in Ranmaru's room all day.

"Well, I am going for a walk," I said, standing up and putting my glass beside Ranmaru's sink. I walked out the door and headed outside, scared for who or what I might encounter. I decided that my excuse was I wanted to take a leisurely stroll to clear my head.

I barely made it fie steps out of Ranmaru's apartment before I felt someone grab my arm. I turned around to look at them and immediately fear was stuck into my heart. Though he was considerably shorter than me, he was still very tall for his height. He had messy black hair and red eyes, and was wearing black clothing. This was the guy we saw in the hall earlier... this was Benji.

"Do you need something?" I asked. He let go of my arm and snickered, as if he were ridiculing me for asking such a question. "Ah yes... I do need something from you, mortal. Come back to my apartment and I will explain."

I contemplated what to do for a moment. It probably wasn't a good idea to talk to people before I've gotten used to this island's customs first... but Benji was different. He did not seem to fit in with the rest of the island, so anything I said that was off would not affect me, most likely. I nodded my head and followed Benji back to his room.