Chapter 23 - Journey

I awoke with Freeda still resting on top of my face. I did not know how I was so still that she did not fall, but nevertheless, there she was. I grabbed her handle and set her to the side, then pushing myself up and groggily rubbing my eyes.

Today was the day. I was to leave the castle to return to Sara Island with Alice, and I was scared. I decide to calm my nerves by cooking. I stand up and decide which color maid dress to wear... Well, since this is such a big event, I decided to wear my dream-colored maid dress. I walked to the kitchen and start cooking my favorite meal- eggs benedict.

"Mmmm, that smells good! What are you cooking, dear friend?" I heard Alice shout from the main room. I responded with eggs benedict and he mwahaha'd. He seemed pleased, I am glad. After I finish cooking I bring out our plates as well as two tall glasses of crystal light peach iced tea. He ate excitingly, telling me in between bites how delicious it was. I smiled and thanked him, proud and happy he likes my cooking.

"We need to get going," I said and Alice responded with a nod. He got dressed and after saying our goodbyes which I'm too tired to write out, we headed to the port. Reko decided to see us off.

"Stay safe, ya hear?" Reko said defensively as she hugged Alice. Alice chuckled and assured her all would be fine. I looked at the boat we were meant to take. It was very run down and looked almost exactly like the one Alice and I had taken to get to Egbenedia in the first place.

"Well, we need to get going now. I will make sure we come back safe, and Egbenedia will be fine as well." I said to Reko, seeing her eyes water.

"It will be alright, dear sister! Trust me, nothing will come in my harm when Freeda and Kai are there!" Alice said to calm her nerves. She nodded her head and hugged her brother once more while I got into the boat. Soon enough the boat was loaded with out things and the sail was set. The only thing left to do was untie the rope keeping us at the dock.

"Are you ready, Alice?" I asked, setting Freeda in a seat. Alice nodded his head and hopped into the boat and once he sat down he waved to Reko. I untied the rope and sat down, grabbing the paddles and waving to Reko as well. I could see the tears falling down her face. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for her- she finally got her brother back just for him to be swept away by this prophecy.

Alice waved at his sister until she was completely out of sight while I paddled away. We didn't have a map, no food, and no clean water. We didn't prepare as much as we should have, but somehow, I was sure this was going to be alright.

"Alice, I was meaning to ask you a question," I said.

"How is it that you grew up in Egbenedia, but you were there at the boat when I left Japan?" This questioned had rattled around in my head for quite some time. It was odd that there was all this backstory with Reko in Egbenedia, but he was there to sail with me here.

"Yikes! That's a long story, but I am willing to share! You see, Kai Satou, all my life I've lived in Egbenedia. However, no one likes my fashion sense! Because I dress in horizontal stripes every day, everyone thinks that I am some kind of criminal. How rude is that! I could not get a job anywhere, and I would always have the police called on me.

"I would constantly be on the run. I wanted to see Reko, but I couldn't risk it. Soon enough, the police could recognize me just by my face. I decided to flee to Japan to start a new life because the prisoner uniforms in Japan are brown and dark green. I was safe, and I got a job at a convenience store. But one day....

"Every day after work I change back into my striped attire. It is a comfort to me, and I don't like the texture of the uniforms for work. I was heading back home one day when I saw a cloud of blueish-gray smoke enveloping the area. In it there was a large fairy-like creature with red hair.

"The fairy like creature started to speak to me. 'You must return,' it said. I was confused and I asked it where. It specified that I needed to return to Egbenedia as quickly as possible, and that there would be a small rowboat for me to leave in the next morning at 9:00.

"I made sure to sleep well that night and head out early. I got to the rowboat at 8:45 and set my belongings inside. I was not aware that you were going to be there. After that... You know the rest."

I sat in silence, pushing the cold ocean water slowly with my paddles. Small drops of water splashed on my face with every row, shocking me back into reality. "Thank you for sharing this with me, Alice," I eventually responded. Though this information would have been useful back when I stressed over if I was in the prophecy, I was just glad Alice trusted me enough to share his life story.

"Of course, Kai Satou."

We rowed in silence for a while before I thought of a question for him. "Alice, do you remember the fairy's name, by chance?"

We rowed in silence again. He didn't respond for a while, and I assumed he did not hear me or know the answer. I decided against asking again. Eventually we switched and now he was the one rowing, and I leaned back with Freeda in my arms.

"Q....." Alice said.

"Q?"

"The fairy's name is Q-Taro!" Alice said, but as soon as he did my vision went blurry. It appeared that blueish-gray smoke had taken over all I could see. It soon cleared up revealing a burly man with long red hair and a thick beard, dressed in a pink ballerina dress and a wand that looked like a toy wand you'd get at a dollar store.

"You called?!" Q-Taro the fairy yelled in an unknown accent. It sounded like a mixture of a bunch of different accents from all around the world, but if I had to describe it I would say it was a southern accent.

Alice jumped back and stopped paddling as I sat up straight in my seat.

"Alice," The bulky man bellowed. "Glad to see ya again, ain't it?"

Alice gulped and I cleared my throat. "Q-taro-" I said, but was quickly interruped.

"You can jus' call me Taro!"

"Right..." I responded. "Taro... Do you think you could get us to Sara Island?"

Taro straightened his tutu. "Course, Kai!"

I was unsure how the fairy got my name, but I didn't have the time to ask. He waved his wand in a circular motion, and just as soon as he had arrived, he was gone. I rubbed my eyes and Alice and I were on a beach, blueish-gray smoke fading. We had arrived on Sara Island.