Chapter Two - Searching

"YIKES!! THIS IS A BIG YIKES!!" Alice shouted as we were sucked into the eggs benedict. I'm not quite sure what had happened after that. I awoke on a dock on crystal blue waters and boats floating calmly. In the distance I could see a paddle, probably from our boat. I looked around for Alice, but he was no where to be found. Neither were my belongings.

Once I had assessed the situation, I quickly got up and frantically looked around. No, no... this can't be happening... I look around some more, and see something on the paddle in the distance. Without hesitation, I dived into the water like an Olympic swimmer. I swim as fast as I can, and that was pretty fast due to my very long legs. Soon enough, I'm at the paddle. I grab what was balancing on top and swim back.

After arriving back to the dock, I stand up and squeeze the water out of my shirt. Today, since it was going to be a long day, I wore a simple green shirt with a smile on it. I was completely soaked, but it was worth it. At least I have my frying pan back!

As I walk off the dock I see a beautiful European style town, the streets full of families and lovers doing their daily shopping, visiting family, or just having a nice conversation with each other. The city was very brightly colored, but not so much it would hurt your eyes. It was so cute! I'd almost want to live in one of these houses, but right now, I have no idea where I'm supposed to go. On the boat I had planned to figure out what Alice would be doing once we arrived, but he is no where to be found.

I walk down the cement tile streets and look around. There really isn't anything around here, maybe I'll go find a hotel? Would they even take me in without money? I should try it anyway, it might turn out well. I ask a random stranger for directions to the nearest hotel. In a British accent, he started speaking.

"Yes, um, there should be one right around the corner. I'm BenFunnyNice, by the way. I hope to see you around. British words." He says britishly. British people talk funny and nicely. His name is Ben.

I follow his direction and walk into the hotel. I'm still dripping water, but they hadn't kicked me out yet. I continue walking toward the reception desk. As I get closer, I can tell that the person at the reception desk is ginger. Ew, just like my brother. His hairstyle is suspiciously like Ranger's as well, but it's definitely not him because he is wearing a black moustache.

"Hey, bastard. I'm the receptionist!" He said in a mocking tone. I'm not sure who he was mocking, but it definitely couldn't be anyone I know because he is not Rio Ranger. "You looking to stay here? Well, hate to break it to ya, but we're all full. Bastards in every room. You oughta look for someplace else to stay."

I tilt my head downward in sadness. I stared at my feet for what felt like hours. Well, it was enough time to realize how far away my feet are. I am tall. Suddenly, the receptionist speaks again. "You don't seem to have any possessions... Except for that frying pan. Does it have a name?" He asked in an annoyingly nasally voice that sounded like Rangers'. But it wasn't Ranger, because he was wearing a moustache.

"Freeda," I said quietly. After clearing my throat, I spoke again to make sure he could hear me. "Her name is Freeda. She is my best friend."

Suddenly, the receptionist started cracking up. It sounded like Ranger. Though it wasn't Ranger, it took me back to life back at the house. But wait- is he making fun of me?

"Don't make me hit you. Freeda packs a punch, Mr. Receptionist," I threaten in my most frightening and tall voice. He didn't seem too frightened, but he did seem rather shocked. He started speaking. "How cruel, coming from you! I've never heard you speak in such a way, and to your favorite receptionist too! Truly, a cruel deed."

I'm not quite too sure what he meant by "Coming from you," and "I've never heard you speak in such a way," but I'm sure it is only how the natives talk around here. I stay silent. I am not too sure why he needed to interrogate me about Freeda, and I'm not sure why I answered him. There was something about him that seemed familiar, but I couldn't see what. Maybe that's why I feel I could tell him anything.

I decided to Irish jig into a monologue. "You see, I recently landed on Egbenedia after being kicked out by my father. I have never lived on my own and I have never had a job. Social interactions outside of my family tree are rare. I was homeschooled by Aunt, Sue Miley. I do not understand how a hotel works, I was only taught that people go there to stay when they have nowhere to go."

The receptionist nodded. "Sounds all correct to me! Here, I'll let you stay at my buds' house. For free. You and Freeda seem like a really good pair. Here's the address!" He hands me a scrap piece of paper with an address scribbled on it.

Sara Island

407-371 Apple Juice Isles

Muffin Ocean

Egbenedia

"Sara Island is named after our queen, Queen Sara Chidouin. I think you'll find it to be homely." And with that, the ginger walked away. I was confused, but I suppose I know what to do next. I head out the door and head for the port. Maybe Alice will be there and we could head together, or maybe I'll find someone else who can take me there and will actually know where we're going.

With my trusty frying pan in hand, I walk back toward the port. I feel like the unfamiliar faces walking down the streets with me all are watching me. I don't look anything like these people. None of them are wearing a shirt with a single smile on it, they all seem to be wearing uniforms or what some people may call "church clothes". I walk to the port quickly as to keep eyes away from me. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford clothes that will look more natural around here.

As I get to the dock, I see a familiar face. Thank goodness, it's Alice! Or... maybe that's bad? There's no way he knows where Sara Island is, and if he would even agree to take me there? That's a separate question. Also there's the fact that he is... y'know, a prisoner. He seems to be searching around for something or someone, but I'm not sure what. As I get closer, I can hear his shouts.

"YIKES!!!! KAI, WHERE ARE YOU?!?! THIS IS A BIG YIKES!!"

Yep, that's Alice alright. As I'm walking closer to him, he still doesn't seem to notice. Eventually I am right behind him. I decide to tap him on the shoulder, aware of the consequences. I would rather not be slapped in the face, but I didn't want to walk in front of him and get his spit all over my neck (because I am so tall it would not be on my face).

He turns around, and to my shock, he gets spit all over my neck.

"MWAHAHA! KAI!" He spits. "YOU HAVE ARRIVED IN MY PRESENCE!"

How fun. I explain my situation to him and his eyes went wide, his mouth locked in a small gasp. Soon enough, he smiles widely and proud. "Yes, I will take you there, good friend! You may rely solely upon me, mwahaha!" Though I was sure he had no idea the whereabouts of Sara Island, I decided it was better than eroding the surface of my precious frying pan with the salt of the sea.

Luckily, as if placed there by fate, there was another rowboat. It was breaking down, but still able to sail. Because of its condition, it's owner let us take it for free. We hop into the rowboat of doom and sail away.