Chapter Five - Freeda

Ranmaru and Alice were asleep. These past few days have been really something. The only person I felt I could turn to was my best friend, Freeda. She might be a frying pan... But I care about her like the world.

"Freeda..." I whispered. "Let me tell you about what's been happening." I knew she couldn't hear me or respond... but telling her would help me process all that's happening. Even though she's been here the entire time.

"I hate my father. I was stuck with him for over twenty years, barely able to leave the house. I had Rio Ranger and Safalin... but it was still so difficult. For some reason Gash-eww hated me and I was always in trouble. When Ranger came along, lets just say things got worse. I love him, but he really had all of our fathers positive attention. I always got in trouble... and for the stupidest things, too. When I was younger I would try to have some sort of relationship with him. I mean, he was my father after all. I would make him meals... but he always told me he wasn't hungry. So I got punished for doing something nice."

"It wasn't fair. But since there was nothing I could do, I just had to deal with it. And I did. Even though Ranger never really got punished, I couldn't bring myself to resent him. He wasn't doing anything wrong. He is my brother, and I love him. Tia Safalin doesn't technically live with us, but she was at the house almost all the time. She is so kind and sweet..."

"One day I was minding my business when my father called me downstairs. I was expecting a punishment, but he gave me the best news of my life. 'Kai, you must go to Egbenedia.' He said. I had to keep my composure, but I was ecstatic. Tia Safalin helped me pack, and soon I was off to sleep."

"The next morning I woke up and slapped myself in the face with my knees. On accident. I know, embarrassing, right? I headed to the dock after Ranger annoyed me a little bit and sailed off. On the tiny rowboat I met Alice, who was a very suspicious fellow. He had weird blue hair, with half of it shaved off and colored in pink and yellow stripes. He also wore a prisoners' uniform, which was quite off putting. He's cocky and confident, and I've had a lot of fun hanging out with him. Although he is very short compared to me."

"After sailing in the ocean for a while we found a singular eggs benedict and got sucked in. Landing on Egbenedia we got separated, so I searched around for someplace to stay. After meeting a ginger in a hotel who was definitely not Ranger (he was wearing a moustache) I was informed to visit Sara Island, and there I would find a habitable place to stay. I found Alice and we headed off."

"Even though neither of us knew where we were going exactly, we were able to find it. Shortly after we came face to face with a sheep- no- I mean a teenage boy. A teenage sheep- shit, ugh. A teenage boy named Ranmaru, or as I like to call him- Sheepmaru. We didn't have much of a chance to talk before a scarved man came speed walking down the bay. Sheepmaru pulled us into a bush. After managing to escape, we headed toward Sara Island's apartments."

"A quick stop at the food mart for ingredients and then we were safe. I made Alice and Ranmaru some eggs benedict (I mean- it is Egbenedia after all), and then we sat down. We were informed that our existence on this island was impossible... because we were already here. Tomorrow Ranmaru is going to question the doppelgangers. But for now..."

I yawned. It was getting late. I'm so thankful for my best friend Freeda- my frying pan. She's the best frying pan I could ever ask for. My best fryi-end. She listens to me when no one else would. I know she can't respond, but I don't care. Even so, I always get a feeling of comfort from her. Even if she can't express that in words, I know she cares. According to Ranger, toys have feelings too. He learned it in a movie called "Toy Story". By that logic, Freeda has feelings too. Maybe when I leave her alone she starts to play.

I started daydreaming about what it might be like if Freeda could talk and play, but soon that daydream turned into a real dream and I was fast asleep.