Chapter 25 - The Handshake

As I walked into Benji's room, I could feel the atmosphere change almost immediately. I could sense darkness and mystery in the room, it was almost as if the room didn't want anyone inside of it. I felt goosebumps rise on my cold, pale skin as Benji put his hand on my shoulder. I turned around to look at him and saw his eyes glow an even brighter red than they were before, but soon the color dissolved into its normal state once more.

"What was that?" I asked as he put his hand back down. He stalled in his response and instead walked in front of me, gesturing to follow him. I took this chance to get better comprehension of the room ahead. The front door had opened to a long hallway, the floor being made of a very dark grey carpet with a spiderweb pattern. The walls were made of wood stained a dark black. I followed Benji through the hall until it opened up into the main room.

No bigger than a studio apartment, the small kitchen area sat on a wall adjacent to the hallway. The other adjacency held a door leading to what I presumed to be a bathroom. Sitting straight ahead on the opposite wall was a bed, it's feet facing us. The spiderweb carpet on the floor seemed to all connect to the middle of the room. There were some velvet-covered chairs in the corner and tables on each side of the bed. The room itself was very cool, but surprisingly emo.

"Thank you for finding him, Benji," An unknown voice said, making me jump. I turned to the noise and saw it was a short boy who had been sitting in one of the velvet chairs. I was unsure on how I did not notice beforehand, but that does not concern me anymore. Who was this guy?

As the stress and tension was noticeably building, Benji gestured to one of the chairs for me to sit down. I gripped the arms of the chair and sat down, looking down at my knees. Due to my height, my knees were bent at such an angle while sitting in this chair that I could not see my feet. I looked up as I heard the unknown boy clear his throat.

"Kai... is it?" I nodded my head and took in his appearance. He had fluffy dark purple hair covering his eyes, and an overcontoured nose. He was wearing a MCR shirt and black ripped jeans. "I'm Shane."

This must be the friend Ranmaru was speaking of. The sheep was right... he was pretty emo. 

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked.

Shane spoke. "We know why you're here, and we know you're not the Kai who was on this island originally..."

Benji followed. "We've come to propose a deal with you. You see, neither of us like Joemama69. We will help you defeat him, but you need to listen to us. We know the ins and outs of this island, and we know the most about Joemama69."

The deal sounded a little sus... they better not be imposters. This seems to be the best option- after all, Ranmaru acted even more like an imposter the last time we were on the island. But Miss Sara trusted him! Oh, what to do...

I decided to take my chances. "Deal." Benji walked over to me and extended his hand. I grabbed it in a firm handshake, and almost immediately I passed out. 

I opened my eyes and I was in a dark room. There were no floor or walls, yet I was laying down. It was almost as if the ground was invisible? all around me seemed to be a dark abyss. Coming out of nowhere, Benji's dark hair and bright red eyes glared at me. His eyes were as bright as they had been when he had grabbed my shoulder earlier, if not brighter. I couldn't tell how close he was to me, but he seemed to be pretty far away.

"Kai Satou..." His voice bellowed. "You have made a contract with me. You must do everything I say, or else you will die. Don't worry... I won't overuse my power. You can trust me with your fate."

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. Already I was regretting my decision.... But it was too late now. Maybe I am overreacting and Benji will stay true to his word and not overuse his power. Almost as quickly as it seemed I arrived in the abyss, I left. I found myself laying flat on my back and coughing as I opened my eyes and rolled over to stand up. I looked around and I was in a room I had never seen before. It was really boring with cream-colored walls and a warm wooden floor. A bed sat in the corner with a small table next to it. A clock sat above the entry door. No one was in the room.

I sat up and looked at the popcorn ceiling. I needed to find Alice to discuss what to do next. I decided it would be a bad idea to tell anyone about my contact with Benji and Shane. Since no one on the island likes them, if they knew that I had randomly started talking to them it would look sus. Especially to Ranmaru and Alice.

I heard a pair of keys rustling in the doorknob and I looked up quickly. My heart started racing, wondering who was at the door, and why? I got my answer soon enough. 

Walking through the door was Alice with a smirk on his face, but it quickly changed to surprise when he saw I was awake. 

"Kai! You are awake! Mwahahaha, I am glad you are alright, indeed! I have a present for you!" Alice bellowed. I stood up and sat on a bed and gestured for Alice to sit next to me. It clearly looked like he was hiding something big behind his back, so I averted my eyes until he was next to me. He pulled out a stuffie from behind his back and handed it to me...

It was a red crewmate!!! Oh my goodness... It was perfect. I smiled very slightly and thanked Alice profusely.

"I am glad you like it!" Alice said.

"I love it. This is the best thing anyone has ever given me." I responded.

"Are you going to name it?"

"I think I'll name it.... Jerb."