Chapter Thirteen - Reko

"YAWN!" I yelled when I woke up. Wowzers, I had a really good night's sleep. Honestly, the best night's sleep I've had ever! Now that my bed was long enough to accomodate for my extremely long legs and my blanket was long enough to cover my whole body. This was the first time in my entire life that I've ever had a good nights sleep!

I got up and headed to the personal kitchen in my room. I went to the fridge and opened it, grabbing the best food in the world. Eggs. I set Freeda on the stove and started preparing my favorite meal- eggs benedict with an extra fried egg on top with scrambled eggs on the side, with eggnog as a drink and hard boiled eggs for dessert. I also made an omelet for a palate cleanser.

I know, you're probably thinking, why not peach tea? Well, I didn't feel like it. Surprising, I know, but unavoidable. Breakfast was delicious. I washed Freeda and left my room, ready for a yogalicious class.

"Yo, Kai! You ready for class?" I saw Reko beckon me over from the end of the hallway, standing next to Nao. I nodded and we headed to the yoga classroom. Opening the door, there was already someone there, sitting on an orange yoga mat.

"Meow, you're here! Do you like your new home, woof!"

It was Gin! He must have been the other student. Ohh, that's why Keiji was able to get me a job here- he already has strong connections to this place. We walked through the classroom and grabbed a yoga mat from the back. There were three colors left- black, yellow, and red. I waited for Reko and Nao to grab their mats (I didn't want to accidently take one of theirs) and my yoga mat ended up being the red one.

Professor Mishima walked into the classroom after we set up with a green yoga mat and set up his own.

Yoga class was fun! I got paired up with Reko and she was able to help me a lot with learning how to do the basics. I fell over a whole bunch of the time but we all laughed it off. Truly a yogalicious class! We packed up and started to head to our next class, Proper Manners.

The class was interesting! I already did a lot of the 'proper manners' that were described so the class was actually kind of boring, until...

"Yo, teach! I don't really understand. What's the point of proper manners?! I Why can't I be natural? I feel the people would love to see someone acting genuinely. What's the point of this class?" Reko said.

"Ms. Yabusame..." The professor started. "We must act as professional as we can so that the people have leaders to look up to. If the citizens of Egbenedia see that we can't act professional, word will get around. If word gets around, other countries may see us as weak and try to take over our land. That is why proper manners are important, and that's why you must take this class."

Reko scoffed, but it looked like she understood. We continued on with class as normal and soon enough, it was over and we headed out.

"I just don't get it." Reko said. "Can't I just be me?"

"I know how you're feeling, Reko..." Nao responded. "But we have to! We can be like ourselves in private, but we're part of the face of the country. We need to show the people that we're reliable!"

"Nao is correct." I said. "I may not have been here for very long, but proper manners are very important."

"Yeah, I get you guys. I don't agree with it, but I guess it's how its gotta be. Not like I can leave here anyway. Don't even know where my brother is." Reko explained. Nao wasn't talking to her about it, so I decided pressing her about it wouldn't be a good idea.

Now it was time to prepare lunch. We headed to the kitchen and saw what meal was written on the whiteboard.

Oh em gee!! Dino nuggies! I'm so excited, I love dino nuggies! Whoever chooses the meals has good taste. We decided that Nao would be the one to cut the chicken into dinosaur shapes, I would bread them, and Reko would cook them. Everything was going swimmingly! Except...

"OH MY GOD IT'S ON FIRE!!!" I hear Reko scream as she jumped back. I ran over to the fire and sure enough, it was very on fire. The fire alarm had started to ring across the castle. I grabbed the fire extinguisher which was next to the door and blew out the fire. Well crap.

Just then, the Professor ran into the kitchen. "Is everyone okay?!" He shouted. I hid behind Freeda in embarrassment. "Apologies, Professor Mishima. It was an unfortunate accident, and I take full blame for it. I was not watching when the fire started, and if I had ben then perhaps it would have been prevented. I severely apologize."

"No! It- It wasn't his fault! It was mine, teach. I'm sorry- I-" Reko shouted.

Mishima took a deep breath. "It's okay, you all. I don't blame any of you. It was merely an accident. However, this puts our lunch off until later times... Unless?"

I understood what he was saying. We opened the windows and doors to assure the room would air out and then we headed off to my room, which conveniently has another kitchen inside of it. It wasn't as big as the other one, but it was going to have to do.

We made it into my room, while Mishima stayed behind to notify Queen Sara. I sat Reko and Nao down and offered them peach tea, to which they both accepted gratefully. I handed them their glass filled to the top with peach tea as they conversed, and I headed to the kitchen. I told them both I would deal with the cooking, for my nerver were not as shot as theirs and I feel I could get it done very quickly on my own.

I went to the freezer and pulled out two large boxes of dino nuggies and popped them on a tray. I stuck them in the oven for 23 minutes and... vioala! I hid all of the evidence and stuck the 100-200 some dino nuggies onto places and went back into my room.

"All finished. It is all plated and ready to serve." I said as I reentered.

"That was quick!" Reko shouted while Nao looked at me in amazement.

-Time skip, after lunch and cleaning, heading toward the next class!-

"I believe the next class is Egbenedia's history, is that correct?" I asked. Nao had run ahead with her explanation being she needed to ask the professor about something, so it was just me and Reko. I am not too sure why Gin was not with us... But that was okay. I am sure we will have time to converse in the future.

"Yeah, History of Egbenedia. My least favorite class! It always goes by so slowly." Reko responded.

"I am getting the idea you do not enjoy the classes here. And your cooking skills are..." I coughed. "So, Reko, why are you working here?"

Reko pondered this for a moment. "Yo, that's a little personal." I got embarrassed for a second until she continued. "But I'll tell ya. Me and my parents? Never really got along. So I moved out as soon as I could."

She laughed a little bit before continuing, perhaps out of awkwardness or nostalgia. "But I've got this brother, and he's pretty cool. We spent every day together as a child, and we've always been there for each other. However, once my career took of in Egbenedia, we kind of drifted apart. I haven't seen him in so long... I think about him a lot. I would do anything to see him again. And that's why I'm here."

"I'm not quite following. You miss him, and so you're here? There must be something I am missing." I responded.

"Oh, right. When he was younger, he would always talk about how he wanted to visit the castle. He never seems to show up at my concerts so this is the only way I know how I might reach him. Even though I hate this life... I would really do anything for him. He's my brother and I want to see him again."

Reko's story made my eyes tear a little. She truly has a kind heart, even if she hides it behind a snarky attitude. The way she talked about her brother was really special and it made me want to help her as much as I could. Even if I knew I couldn't, I decided from that moment on I would try to be there for her as much as I could.

Reko laughed. "Well, that's enough about me. Class is starting, we should hurry."

And with that, we walked into our History of Egbenedia class.