Chapter 27 - Single

Now I was alone in a room with Benji. Whatever it takes to get Jerb back, right?

"Benji, I need Jerb back," I demanded.

"I know. What about Jerb is so appealing to you, human?" He responded.

"How did you know about Jerb? And... Jerb is appealing because he is my best friend."

Benji nodded his head. "I've been so stressed out recently. I haven't had time to process anything."

I do not see how that answers the question on how he knows about Jerb, but I guess it does not matter. I sat in the chair with my hands on my forehead, stressed beyond belief. Just then a man with brown hair stood in the entryway. He took what seemed to be a heavy bag off of his shoulders and immediately headed toward the bathroom, giving me no chance to gather any more details about him. I looked at Benji, but he seemed to not be phased. He was almost acting as if no one had even entered...

I shook off the mysterious visitor and tried to gather more information from Benji. "Benji, what is the first thing we need to do in order to get Jerb back? We can't waste any time."

Benji looked at me with his piercing red eyes and smirked, tilting his head downward slightly for a malicious chuckle. "Kai... Dear human... there are many routes we could go down in order to get Jerb back. Do you know what path to go down?"

His eerie composition did not help me answer the question. His sentence framing almost seemed as if he did not know the answer to the question himself... I decided to press him more about the subject, since I know little to no information about the Gashu of this island.

"I am not really sure what to do in this situation. Since I am new to this island, I cannot think of any fail-proof plans. What are these options you speak of?"

Benji snapped back. "LOOK, I DON'T FREAKING KNOW?! This is YOUR problem!! I didn't ask to be dragged into this! I JUST woke up! I'm so stressed out, I can't freaking think straight!! I'm leaving!"

His response was amusing. I mean, he was the one who suggested that there were multiple options. He walked right out, leaving me alone with my thoughts and a mysterious man in the bathroom. I thought it would be awkward to be in the room alone with bathroom-man, so I got up to leave and walked quickly toward the door.

As soon as I got up, the bathroom door opened. I sat back down, knowing there was no escape to a conversation. His head hung low, but he must have heard me moving around because he looked up at me a little. As soon as he saw me he let out a long, exasperated sigh. Now that I could see his face clearly and he was not walking to a different room, I could see what he looked like.

His face was boxy and long, with stubble dotting his chin and upper-lip. His eyes were tired and he had large eye bags hanging. His dark brown hair was cut into a medium-sized mullet-type appearance. He wore a loose button up with the top few buttons undone, and a dark grey blazer. Though his clothes seemed fancy, they were dirty as if he had been doing physical labor all day. He also looked like the type to wear Hawaiian shirts.

"Who are you and why are you in Benji's apartment." The man asked. It sounded more like a statement than a question, however. Whatever the case, this guy seemed like a handful.

"I am Kai Satou, housewife. And you?" I responded.

"Jackman. Home renovator. I am Benji's only boyfriend and he is not married to or dating anyone else."

I was very confused as to why he would add that very specific and implied detail of his romantic relationship with Benji. I guess once again, it does not matter. It seems both Jackman and Benji like to bring up unnecessary points.

"Jackman, since you and Benji are close, do you know anything about Jerb?" I asked, desperate to get any information I can.

"I actually do. I know you wouldn't expect a shitty person like me to have any information, but I do. Gashu works for the man you know as Joemama69, but his real name is Midori. I guess Midori knows you're here, and planted Gashu as a seed to steal Jerb and make you go to his house."

Wow, that is... Even doll Gashu hates me. "So, what are we going to do next?"

Jackman let out another long sigh. "I'm Midori's personal house renovator. I change it every day. We'll sneak you in then."

"We'll?" I asked. 

"Me and Benji."

"Now that I think about it, I de remember Midori's house changing an incredible amount after the 'game' he had played with me and Alice."

"Yes, that was my work."

We sat in silence for a couple minutes, which was very awkward. Eventually I thought of something to say. "I'll come back here tomorrow at the same time, and we can discuss specific plans."

Jackman nodded his head while closing his eyes, and I assumed that meant he was done talking to me. I headed toward the door before realizing I still had one more question.

"Hey, Jackman, I was wo-" I said, turning around. When I looked in his chair, he was gone. It appeared he had disappeared into thin air. I was not sure why or how, but it had happened without a sound. I sighed and turned back around... This trip to Sara Island was incredibly difficult, and all of this mystery is not helping. I decided to head to Ranmaru's apartment, maybe he would have more information on how to defeat Joemama69... 

I headed down the hall and luckily did not run into anyone. Once I arrived at Ranamru's apartment I knocked on the door and it opened on its own. I cautiously pushed the door opene and peered inside.

"Ranmaru?" I called out. No response. I opened the door slowly and closed it quietly, gripping Freeda in case there was an intruder. 

"NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" I heard a familiar voice screech. It was Alice. Though that would be a really weird thing to shout if you were in actual trouble, I ran into the main room to see what was going on in fear he might be hurt.

Luckily there was no danger. I looked to the floor to see Alice and Ranmaru sitting down across from each other with a pile of cards in the middle. Ranmaru had no more cards, and Alice had one left. It was....

UNO.....

Cannot believe I was fooled. Hoodwinked. My logic- scrambled. By Uno!! 

"Kai! You're back!" Ranmaru said, getting up and cleaning up the UNO mess.

I walked over to the height adjustable chair and sat down. "I have plans to go to Joemama69's house in the next couple days. How am I supposed to beat him?"

Ranmaru cleared his throat and sat the Uno down. "I'm surprised you're doing it this fast. Are you sure we can't wait?"

"No, we cannot. This is my best opportunity to complete my mission." I responded.

"You have to take Alice with you, whatever you do. Other than that, I think it will be up to Joemama69. I'm curious to know any details, so when you have a more in depth plan please let me know."

"I understand. Thank you for everything." I said, and then I left to go my own apartment. Meeting with Jackman and Benji tomorrow is going to suck, but I have to do it. It's the only way to save Egbenedia.