(2) 5 The Lightning

The chase continues.

The metal giants roar as they give chase to the cat and the monkey, with thundering booms exploding with every step from the steel behemoths.

"Blake, what's your location?" A voice comes in on Sun's scroll. It was Ruby's.

"Uh... 17th Avenue! Meet us on the freeway!"

With those words, both then hop off the roofs as the blade of the Atlesian Rex nearly slices both of them in half. Both begin running down the streets as both robots begin chasing them down.

Soon, they approach the highway where they begin hopping on cars and trucks to escape.

Torchwick shouts into his comms, "I'll chase them down, give me fire support!"

Suddenly, much to both Sun and Blake's horror, a blue aura envelopes the Atlesian Rex while the Paladin is covered in a pink one. The Rex charges at the two so quickly that they manage to only dodge the blade that bisected the car they were on due to happenstance.

"Holy crap!" Sun exclaims as he stumbles back to his feet.

"I don't think we'd have survived that even with full aura."

"Sun, watch out!" Blake shouts as she jumps to the other side parries a bullet barrage by the Atlesian Paladin. Both of their eyes widen when they looked at the Paladin, it was in mid-air, still covered in that pink aura as it guns them down. 

Due to the combined might of the two mechas, the chase became an intense game of musical chairs between dodging bullet-fire and dodging the bus-sized sword moving at them at seemingly the speed of a bullet.

And, like musical chairs, the number of chairs to jump on was rapidly declining.

"Uh... Blake?"

"I'm aware!"

As they continue to jump car after car, they realized that they're left to their last two vehicles. The Paladin begins to glide down as it aims all of its missile launchers at the duo before launching the swarm of rockets at the two.

However, before it could explode, a glyph suddenly appears turning black and slowing down the missiles' descent long enough for these to detonate before touching anywhere near the car shocking Torchwick. He begins hurriedly looking around for the unknown interceptor but he didn't need to look long because on the other side of the highway, Weiss pirouettes into the scene, launching projectiles of ice at them as she skated on the side.

"I leave you two for a measly 3 hours and suddenly you're already facing off two of Atlas' newest robots? Honestly." Weiss lightly jests while skating alongside Blake, Sun, and the confused family of four in the car the two were standing on.

However, it would seem as though Torchwick would not let up. Raising the Paladin's arms, he aims the heavy machine guns at the three and begins to open fire. With some quick thinking, Weiss hops atop the car with help from the two above before doing her twirling dance which ends with her stabbing the roof of the car eliciting screams from the terrified civilians within.

Sun looks to their book and shouts, "Look out! The sword bot!" He points at the Rex which begins to coalesce the blue energy around it, charging up for another charge. 

This time, to meet it is the caw of a massive black and red crow as a barrage of bladed feathers begins to pepper the robot, forcing it to use the stored energy to dodge those instead. The giant nevermore then swoops down, flying near the cars before swirling into a small red vortex which transforms the feathers into a flurry of roses as Ruby hops on the car, with her red half-mask adorning her face now.