FERAL: chapter seven

"They'll be arriving later today, so make sure the rooms are set up

"They'll be arriving later today, so make sure the rooms are set up..." Gray's voice trails off.

I try to focus on what he's saying, but it's futile. My mind drifts off to Dad, North, and everything that happened last night.

North still refuses to leave the corner of the living room. He sits there, eyes watching anything and everything that moves, ears listening for any unusual sounds. He's more on guard than before I brought him here. It's like we took one step forward and five steps back.

Dad on the other hand, has been ignoring me. I saw him around the pack earlier and he acted as if I was invisible. It hurts to think that even after all these years, he's willing to throw everything away.

"Gaius? Are you listening?" Gray asks with a raised eyebrow.

I blink twice, "Of course."

"Yeah? Then what did I just say?"

"That they're coming today?" I reply but it comes out more as a question.

"Who's coming today?"

"The..." I try to remember who is coming, but nobody comes to mind.

"The council is coming," Gray snaps. "If you were listening you would've known that."

"Why are they coming again? I forgot," Foster asks with a sheepish smile.

Gray's blue eyes turn to him, "I just told you."

Foster shrugs but I know he didn't truly forget. He's asking for me to keep Gray's anger at bay and I hated it. I haven't been focused ad much these days and I needed to fix that.

"It's a meeting between the council along with the alphas and elders from the other packs around. Since we have the most land, they'll be staying here," he turns to me. "As I was saying, they will be arriving today. The rooms are supposed to be already set up but I want to double check before they arrive."

Foster and I both nod in agreement before standing up. I'm about to leave and start checking the rooms but Foster's hand on my shoulder stops me.

"Gai, are you okay?" Foster asks, concern lacing his voice.

I nod and offer him a smile. "I'm fine, Fos. I should be the one asking you that, three more months."

Foster smiles at the mention of his baby, but the concern doesn't leave his eyes.

"You sure?" He asks.

I start to dismiss his concerns again but stop. "My dad came over yesterday and saw North."

Foster frowns, he's met my Dad and knows how he feels about rogues. Hell, the whole pack knows how he feels about them but nobody knows why he hates them.

"How'd he react?" Foster questions.

I laugh dryly at the question. "He locked North in a cage for most of the day and didn't let him eat a thing. Then he went on a rant about how they couldn't be trusted, how I was confused and North wasn't actually my mate."