FERAL: chapter fourteen

"You don't remember," the man from earlier repeats

"You don't remember," the man from earlier repeats. "Really? That's the best you can do?"

My eyes narrow at the man. What else could I say? After shifting, my wolf practically vanished. He's still there but I can't reach him and since he was in control all this time, I can't really be sure of what happened.

"The first memory I haveis wakinup with..." I pause for a minute. "Gaius. Waking up Gaius," I say more firmly.

The man the others called Councilman Steele rolled his eyes at this. "You people don't really believe this, do you?"

I frown at his words. I wish there was more to say but no matter how hard I search my brain or try to pull my wolf forward, nothing happens.

"It's true," I tell him and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm sure it is," he says sarcastically.

Gaius growls at him and the councilman looks up at him.

"Is there a problem, Beta?" Councilman Steele's eyes narrow.

"I could ask you the same, Councilor. You clearly don't like Onyx, so why don't you send another councilor who isn't so focused on trying to make Onyx the bad guy when he's not."

Councilman Steele scoffs. "You would say that. He's your mate or so you claim. You can't think clearly. If anyone needs to leave, it's you, Beta."

"Enough," Gray tells the two of them. "This meeting isn't to fight, it was to talk about the trial and we've done so. I believe it's in everybody's favor if we end it here."

The councilman rolls his eyes at this and Gaius quickly stands up. I hurry out the chair and try to follow him but nearly lose my balance in the process. Gaius turns before I can fall and catches me, he apologizes before the two of us leave the room.

We get in the car and Gaius helps me strap my seatbelt before he begins to drive home. The ride is silent and I find myself repeatedly glancing over at him.

"Gaius?" I say hesitantly. "Are youokay?"

Gaius pulls into the driveway but makes no move to get out of the car. His head rests against the steering wheel and he lets out a sigh.

"I'm okay, it's just-" he groans. "I'm sorry you had to sit through that and deal with that damned councilman."

I offer Gaius a smile. I hadn't even been around him for that long and I was already warming up to him.

"It's okay," I put my hand on his. "I'mokay,"

Gaius blinks at my words and returns my smile before we get out the car. Gaius takes a seat on the couch and I follow after him. We sit there for a minute and I look over at him.

"I really don't remember," I tell him.

I don't care what the others think as long as Gaius knows the truth.

"I know. I believe you," Gaius promises.

I raise my hand to his cheek and stare at him for a few minutes before Gaius gets up abruptly and moves to the kitchen causing my brows to furrow.

"I'm hungry, are you hungry?" He gets a pan from the cabinet before nodding to himself. "You're probably hungry."

Gaius begins to cook something and I watch him for a minute in confusion before laying back on the couch. My mind shifts from the Gaius' weirdness and I try to remember everything that happened before Gaius and I woke up.

My eyes close and I search my mind desperately for anything; any sign that may help me figure out just who I am. Nothing comes to mind, it's as if a wall of impenetrable fog is locking away my memories.

Sighing, I drop back on the couch and watch Gaius cook. Part of me wants to help him, but with the state I'm in right now, I more of a liability than anything else.

Gaius.

He's part of the reason I want to remember. I don't want to know just what happened before I arrived at this pack, I want to know what happened when I came. I want to know why I'm on trial, how I got the name North, I want to know how I met Gaius.

I want to know who I am.

If I stay the way I am, I may never find those answers. I want to grow so I can eventually get rid of this fogginess that plagues my mind and, for the first time in forever, see clearly.

I desperately want that.

Nodding to myself, I sit up and let out a hum. Right now I may not have the answers but I will eventually- I can feel it. I know there is a reason I came to this pack and I just have to find it.

I won't give up until I do.