FERAL: chapter nine

Growing up, I remember asking Mom what a mate was

Growing up, I remember asking Mom what a mate was. They were the only thing my friends were talking about that day but I didn't know what they were. Mom smiled at me before having me sit down in front of her.

"A mate is like a soulmate, Gaius. They're the ones the Moon Goddess created specifically for you, they're the other half that completes you. If you get a chance to meet your mate, then promise me you'll love them with all your heart."

I promised her I would and I don't intend to break that promise now.

Councilman Steele backs up slightly but stares at me with anger.

"This is the type of pack you run?" He scoffs at Gray. "No wonder a monster managed to get into your lands; you're all savages!"

Gray glares at him and opens his mouth to probably yell back at the man but Qunn stops him and puts on her best smile.

"Death? That's such a drastic measure. I'm sure we can work this out," Quinn says as she stares at the council.

"North hasn't hurt anyone in the time that he's been here. Death isn't necessary!" I try to tell them.

How can they just sentence him to death without even meeting him? How can they be so okay with the fact they're about to ruin someone else's life?

"That's not quite true," a familiar voice from behind me objected. "He hurt me yesterday when I tried to visit you."

I turn around and see Dad behind me. My heart breaks when my eyes meet his. How could he do this? He knows North didn't do anything to him.

Catching Dad's scent, North's teeth become bared and he lets out a growl which doesn't help his case. To someone who didn't see the two of them, it looks like he actually did attack Dad. To me, it looks like he's scared. His body shakes as he tries to figure out how to escape and his guard is raised higher.

"Why didn't you come to me then?" Gray raises an eyebrow.

Dad offers Gray a smile. "Well he's my son's mate and I didn't want to ruin that for him, but now that I've had time to reflect on it, I think it needs to be known before he can harm someone else."

"You know North didn't touch you," I glare at him.

Dad raises an eyebrow. "He did. How would you know otherwise, Gaius? When you arrived I already had the beast contained in self defense."

Self defense?

As a former beta, he would've been able to keep North under control easily.

"Thank you for coming forward with this knowledge, Mr. Reeves," the same councilman that sentenced North earlier said to Dad. "I think that's all the evidence we need."

Evidence? What evidence?! They're just going to trust Dad's word against all of ours?

Councilman Steele and another unfamiliar man move to grab North. I smack their hands away with a growl as my wolf tries to come forward and force a shift. Fur begins to sprout and my eyes begin to change color.

"Gaius, stop!"

It's Gray's voice calling out to me using an alpha command. Against my will, my body stops changing and returns to its human form. Gray pulls me away from North and the councilman quickly grab him. I struggle to get out of his grip but Gray makes no move to let go.

"Move!" I yell.

"Stop! You're only going to make this worse!" He scolds.

North's eyes meet mine and I fight against Gray to move towards him as the councilman take him away. Quinn's talking to Elder Rachel and the other council members and elders but I don't hear what she's saying. The whole world around me is blocked out besides the sounds of North's growls and whines.

Seemingly finished with their conversation, the council and elders begin to leave and it's just Quinn, Gray, Dad, and me.

"They agreed to a trial, we'll get him back," Quinn promises but her words are deaf to my ears.

She frowns before laying her hand on my shoulder. Everything around me feels numb, eyes linger on my frozen form but I can't bring myself to move.

"Gaius!" Dad's voice snaps me out of me trance.

He smiles at me and is saying something but I pay his words no attention as anger runs through my veins.

"What the hell was that? You know North didn't do shit to you!" I yell at him.

Dad's smile quickly disappears and he glares at me. "Don't you speak to me like that. I'm doing what's best for you."

I scoff. "Best for me? Best for me?! You think killing my mate is the 'best for me'?"

Dad rolls his eyes. "You'll get a second chance mate."

"I don't want a second chance mate!" I yell at him shoving him away. "You know how rare they are anyways, the likelihood of me getting on is practically nothing. Even if I did, I don't want one- I want my mate; I want North!"

Dad shakes his head at me. "You'll come to your senses when that beast is put down for good."

Dad begins go move away from me and I do something I never expected to do. I punch Dad square in the face. It doesn't stop after one punch either. Next thing I know, the two of us are full on fighting on the ground until we're pulled away from each other.

"Gaius, don't!" I recognize the voice as Foster.

Gray holds Dad back and I glare at him with hatred shining in my eyes.

"Mom would've been disappointed with you," I shake my head at him. "She would've been disappointed to see what her mate has become."

Dad's eyes fill with rage and he fights against Gray's grip to get to me. Foster quickly leads me away until we're back inside of my house. My body hits the couch and I put my head within my hands.

"We'll get him back," Foster says.

I don't bother to reply. At this point, the only hope is the trial Quinn talked about and knowing the council, they'll believe whatever lies they're told just to make sure North dies. No matter how much I try to think of solutions, it seems like North will die.

I shake my head at the thoughts. I can't think like that while he's counting on me. Slowly, I nod my head in agreement.

"Yeah, we will," I tell him determinedly.