13

The jingle of the bells ring through my ears as the whole coffee shop goes silent. Not really, but our table does at least. I refuse to look at her, but when I finally do, I can tell that she didn't mean to take it this far.
"Kris... I - I'm so sorry," and there are little tears streaking her face. "I didn't think that it would go this far. I swear. It was just a joke, running up to you and giving you a little tap. I guess Emily stuck around but I didn't i...i ran away. I'm sorry."
I didn't say anything. I didn't have anything to say. I let her words sink into my head. There were tears coming down her face, tears pleading for forgiveness. I hold my gaze away as long as I could, and just when she's about to get up and leave, I look at her in the eyes, and her eyes, that usually always have a twinkle, are dull.
I couldn't hold it in anymore and suddenly, I blurt out, "Then why did you do it? I mean there had to be some reason as to why you would pair up with Emily."
Her body is suddenly overcome with embarrasment, but she continues.
"I don't want you to date my brother because if he hurts you, I won't be able to live with either him every day or you every day. And i Can't imagine that.