40

I'm escorted out of the room, where I fall into Alex's arms from crying.
"I was mad... i couldn't help... he can't be.." im mumbling all these things while crying, scratch that, sobbing. Alex and Carla walk me over to a chair, but I can't move. They keep asking me what happened. I can't respond. my head spins.
"He... he's g-gone" I manage to mumble out.
------------------
A week later, it's his funeral. His parents asked me to write a eulogy for him, and read it. Of course I did. It's supposed start at 2, but my parents are going early with Cole's... 
I go to my closet and run my fingers along the black lace of the dress I'm going to wear. It's the same one from when I went out to dinner with his family when he came back. I pull it closer and stare at it. Tears start to swell up in my eyes again, but I push them away, there will be enough of that later. Carla and Alex are going to be there all day for me. I'm going to need them.
I take off my sweatpants and t-shirt and slip the dress on. I walk over to my dresser and pull out my sephora bag with all waterproof makeup that I got for today. I wish today wasn't happening. I grab my little purse and make sure what I've written is in here. It is.
-------------------
I have cried so much today... and it's not over yet.
"And now, some words from someone who knew Cole, more than anyone. Krista, will you please come to the podium please?"
I don't want to do this. But I have to. I have to do it for Cole.
Hello everyone. It has been a really hard week, and Cole didn't deserve to go. He was an amazing person. I was there, just last Tuesday, when he left. I couldn't process it in my head. It's horrible to think that I'll never get to see him again. When his family moved away a few years ago, I thought that that was the last I'd ever see of him. But it wasn't. He came back. Back to the same little old house from when we were kids. He was dating my best friend, Carla. I knew that he had a history if breaking girls hearts but I never imagined that he would break hers in this way. Not just hers, but all of ours. Everyone sitting in this room right now. Cole may have only been one person to this world, but to multiple people, he was their world. I will never forget Cole. I loved him. He was like my brother. I never imagined that he would leave so soon. One thing that I'll never forgive myself for is being mad at him right before that night he got struck.  Cole came back into my life like a hurricane, destroying everything in his path, coming to a sudden end.
-------------------------------------------------